XP-Pro Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( I need to reformat my hard drive and will need to re-install XP-Pro. Where will i find the Updates already installed so that i dont have to download them again. How will i re-install the updates? :confused:

You go to www.windowsupdate.com. It will detect and offer you only the updates you don't have.

You can see from your XP CD if it contains Service Pack 1 or not. If not then this is the first thing you need.

Thanks for that. I still neeed to find where windows stores the downloaded files so that i can re install after the format....

Windows update stores the update files in a folder called WUTemp which you cna find on the root on pretty much all your partitions. I don't know why but it does not always create only on the partition holding the system.

I do believe that folder gets emptied once the updates are done though.
shrug.gif

The problem with using the update files stored in WUTemp (if you do choose for WU to save the files) is you get literally dozens and dozens and dozens of installer files you have to run.

Personally, I'd rather go to Windows update and wait all day on dial up than click on install about 50 individual updates manually. :(

Hello Everyone,
Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate all the good stuff. Un fortunately here my connection is veeerrryyyy slooooooow!!!. I think I have found the the folders and files. They all begin with the $ sign and are colored blue. i have copied all of them into my second hard drive and after i re install windows I will try to install them too...!!!
Will let you all know if it works... If not I will be returning to my Mandrake 10 install.... Thanks again!:D

I'm afraid that won't work.
The $NtUninstall..... folders contain the ORIGINAL files from BEFORE the update, and are saved there in case you want to UNINSTALL an update.

If you don't plan on uninstalling these, you can delete the folders without any problem, saves quite a bit of space.

With very few exceptions, all Windows updates are yyy.EXE files.
As long as your browser stays open, you can catch these files during an online update from the weird named folders under:
Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6DDWFW3 or whatever they are called.
Check all these folders after an update, BEFORE you close the browser/restart the PC, and copy all *.EXE files somewhere else.
They normally hold the update-names like KB844665 or Q667553 in their titles.
If you have more than 1 PC, copy these files to the other one(s) and install them there by double-clicking on them.

Thanks realblackstuff.... I do love a Guinness myself.
I'll have to check and try to find these elusive devils!!!!
But now its time for my club outing so i might catch up with you good people later... after my vino!!!

You can also download Auto-Patcher. It's an utility that contains updates released by MS for Windows 2000 / XP / 2003.

It's one big file that contains an application that lets you choose the updates you wish to install (the updates are in the large file you downlaod already). It's not very usefull when you have just one computer (especially if you are on dialup) but for people with lots of computers, it's worth the download.

It also allows you to apply updates to a machine without having that machine connected to the net.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back