XP Pro vs XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheeler47

i have the xp pro disc that came with my brothers old laptop, his was stolen and he got a new one that has vista. so, can i install this over my xp home edition legally, or is it inadvisable? any pros/cons of professional vs home anyway? will it screw up my registered version of home edition with microsoft? i'm sure my bro registered his pro version...? any advice???

The XP Pro came with that laptop and is tied to that machine (the product key is literally "stuck" that that machine). When the machine was stolen, your right to use XP Pro (the product key sticker) went with it.

Nodsu is correct, its breaks the EULA if you try to install an oem onto a machine other than the one it came originally installed on. Its not impossible to do, it just contravenes Microsoft's usage policy.
Why do you need Pro over Home though? Are you likely to be joining a domain? There aint much difference other than networking extras in Pro.

thanks...that's all i need to know. i'll just destroy the cd and be done with it. i don't need a domain (? i don't think?) and i'm happy with what i've got so there you go...:) thnx gyz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back