XP pro wont update printer drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

Running XP-pro with Novell client 4.91SP2 (which should not be causing this problem)

problem is I have two printers installed (by a user with Admin rights), but the drivers are not up-to-date.

Logging in as the same user who installed the printers, funnily enough, I cannot now rename those printers (suspicious, suspicious), and when I try to update the drivers I have to choose have disk etc, point to the priver .inf file, it says 'not a windows signed driver' (hey for HP are there any? - no), so you say go on anyway. It then copies all the files nicely, but instead of ending properly, it just comes up with a message 'unable to install hp .....or XP. Intel printer driver. Operation could not be completed'. No other reason why the driver (which of course is an official HP driver), would not install.

HP site does not illuminate this problem..

Anybody else with ideas please?

no help from XP

Nothing in the event logs, spooler service is running and restarting it makes no difference.

Nothing to suggest it is the novell client, but believe me a Novell client changes every other day, and interferes MIGHTILY in various areas of XP, so it is at least as likely to be the problem.

knock knock; uninstall and reinstall as admin to get proper control :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back