Xp Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fool

My computer is now experiencing problems... i'm running Windows Xp, and own an Emachines T2260. My processor is an AMD Athlon 2200+, and i've owned the computer for a little less than a year now.

It used to work fine, but recently problems occur. My computer tends to freeze up when I try playing a game or some other thing, sometimes even just when i'm downloading / browsing. I don't know why it is...as far as I know all hardware should be working properly, but it may not be.

I tried installing all the Windows updates, but it still freezes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sounds like misssing or corrupted .dll files have you installed or uninstalled any programs before this started happening?

you can check to see if any of your filesare missing or corrupted by opening a command prompt and type: sfc /scannow
the windows system file checker utility will scan the computer and alert you to missing or corrupted files.

You say you have owned the computer almost a year, is it still using the original installation, if so it may be time for a reinstall, over time a large amount off useless files build up and will eventually cause problems. If i where you i would back up my personal fles then do a full reinstall if you can.

Ps Make sure you have all your relevant driver disks available and any internet or email passwords that you may need.

Good Luck

That's the problem. Probably in the last 5 days, i've reinstalled my windows about 7 times...it keeps freezing every time...

7 times in 5 days, WOW when do you go to work? It seems as though you've been hijacked... first find a local computer geek and see if they are willing to help if not try and see if you have any viruses in resident memory or take a look at the excellent guides here on techspot to prevent unwanted proggies from loading at boot and improve your security issues set at default from M$ XP

are you connected to the internet while you install? disconnect, this will prevent access to your machine whilst your set up security protocol. do you use Internet Explorer? try a different web browser, that may be a little more secure. make sure you have some kind of anti virus and firewall installed, besides/instead of the one that comes with Win_XP

Again check out the guides offered from techspot on safeguarding/tweaking your computer...
Good Luck, may the force be with you

Thanks for your advice :D anyway, i tried going in and tweaking with my netbios, and apparently something was wrong in there, because it's not freezing as much.

i also finally got it to scan for corrupted or missing windows files, and that must have helped too. i think the problem i fixed now :)

thanks for all of your help guys..i really appreciate it, and i'll try to stick around :)

hmm the saga continues...

it's freezing again :( i checked the fans and on the netbios menu it said that one fan was running at like 4000 RPM and the Chassis fan was running at 0 RPM. does this mean that the chassis fan is not working?

if so, do i need to replace my chassis fan?

Just out of curiosity, when you reload the machine, do you format it first? If not (and if indeed it's been hijacked) you will still potentially have problems.

Just My $.02

Originally posted by Shiney
You say you have owned the computer almost a year, is it still using the original installation, if so it may be time for a reinstall, over time a large amount off useless files build up and will eventually cause problems.
Good Luck
That is not logical. There is no such thing as having to reinstall because of the length of time XP has been installed. this used to be a common misconception with 9x OS because people did not know how to perform proper routine maintanence on their systems.

Format+Reinstall=NEVER a solution

fool, you should have tried deleting temp files, defragmenting the HDD, doing a general cleanup. Running SFC, if all else failed, you should have tried doing a repair install from the XP CD.
You can still try doing those things, you've prolly not made any more of a mess if you didn't have any problems while performing those installs. I'd also suggest running Adaware or Spybot and make sure your Antivirus is completely up to date.

About your fans, look and see. If the fans are all running, NO you don't need to replace anything, if one is not running, then replace it. It may be that there is no fan connected to the Chassis connector, so it isn't detecting any speed for one there. If a fan has died, this could be the causde of your lockups, if it has caused your temps to rise to unsafe levels, or if its created hotspots in the case.

Originally posted by StormBringer
Format+Reinstall=NEVER a solution

Gotta disagree with this one Storm. "Never" is a strong word. If he's got everything backed up properly, numerous software glitches and the time it takes to hunt them down can be rectified by reloading after a HD format.

It also eliminates software issues as his problem.....allowing him to focus on hardware.

Just My $.02 ;)

Originally posted by Masque
Gotta disagree with this one Storm. "Never" is a strong word. If he's got everything backed up properly, numerous software glitches and the time it takes to hunt them down can be rectified by reloading after a HD format.

It also eliminates software issues as his problem.....allowing him to focus on hardware.

Just My $.02 ;)

I'm not going to argu with you about this, but I have never seen a software problem that required the user to format. Even in 9x. I discovered a long time ago that is is much more productive to solve the problems rather than to scrap everything.

Also, if you format to solve your problems, you never solve the problem. If it happens to be a conflict between apps, or a file version conflict, you will be right back where you started if you just format to solve the problem.

If you disagree, thats fine, but advising people to format as a solution, in the manner it was given here, is nothing short of ingorrance.

PS: fool, you should be given the option to format from the XP CD during setup.

Originally posted by StormBringer
If you disagree, thats fine, but advising people to format as a solution, in the manner it was given here, is nothing short of ingorrance.

I generally only recommend it when the user isn't tech savvy enough to troubleshoot software issues.....could be the case here, don't know for sure, but it appears so.

And if the above was meant as a slam, I don't appreciate it.:blackeye:

Originally posted by Masque
And if the above was meant as a slam, I don't appreciate it.:blackeye:
I wasn't slamming anyone. Thats not my style, but the comment was in regard to the person who posted the advice that the install was simply old and a format was the solution.

my friend told me that when you reformat you sometimes lose network drivers...so...i guess i need to reinstall mine. i'm running on 10/100 MB Ethernet v.9.2 ready PCI if that helps...any download links would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back