XP reboot shortly after startip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzy65

Have a Compaq 2.4ghz, 256mb ram XP-Home. Have 6 profiles configured. Shortly after startup, on 3 of the profiles, XP reboots. No warning is given. After reboot, a message is displayed stating a serious error, then takes me to a webpage defining driver problems. I have run virus checker: All OK. Ran Spybot: Cleaned out the junk. Ran defrag: looks good. Checked for mydoom a & b. nothing... Can't seem to find why 3 of the profiles will reboot soon after startup, while the other profiles run fine. Also, things started happening after one user was researching profiles on AOL. Also seems to crash/reboot while playing some online games. Ideas??!!

This is just my $.02 but I would be tempted to delete those profiles from the system (hopefully, one of 'em ain't the admin profile). It sounds like you might have something in there that shouldn't be (though you've done all the correct scans). What 'really' bothers me is the fact that it sends you to a web page. That's just not right in my books....at least I've not seen it before.

Maybe some of the others have something else to share. :)

I agree with Masque it sounds like a virus may have changed your profiles or someone using your computer has tho they would need admin rights to do this, i have never come across a time when profiles have sent someone to a website upon an error, just do what Masque said and delete the error profiles and reapply them as long as one aint the Admin one.

there's a site ( www.doxdesk.com ) that will scan IE6 (with active scripting allowed) for browser parasites and hijackers.

It does this as you enter, and if it finds there anything there, it'll tell you in red text at the top of the page.

If it doesn't scan on loading the page, click on parasites in the menu. It's not comprehensive, but might be worth a try.

Follow Up

I tried several approaches to fixing this issue. None seemed to work. When I discovered that 5 of the 6 profiles had become infected, I knew it was time to take the next step. In the last uninfected admin profile, I started deleting the other profiles one by one. Some when easy, others gave me grief, one would not delete, and would reboot the computer shortly after beginning the delete process. After three attempts to delete, with no success, I decided to take the last known approach - COMPLETE SYSTEM RECOVERY. I am glad to report that Compaq appears to have been cured, albeit it is now just like the day it was taken out of the box. OH WELL! Live and learn. Thanks to all who gave advice. TECHSPOT has been a great help to me in several issues. ThAnKs

Our pleasure......it's nice that you've got it fixed.....but it looks like you've a little new work to do now. ;)

Be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back