XP Registry and Network Connections problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_2006

Hi,

I posted about a week ago about blue stop screens on my Windows XP Professional (SP2) laptop. Thanks to cpc2004 for reading the dump files - that problem has now been fixed. The RAM was faulty and was replaced for free because it was luckily under warranty for a few more days!

The problem I'm having (and was having at the same time as the stop screens) is that when Windows starts and I click any username on the Welcome Screen and type the password, a message box comes up saying:

"One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

It didn't click with me until yesterday to check Event Viewer! :giddy:

I found event 1517 (source: userenv):
"Windows saved user COMPUTER\Username registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in the local system account."

No services run off local accounts, although I could swear the ASP.NET service used to! There is an article about this warning in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (810616), but it is very little help.

I'm also getting the errors described in article 889082.

I want to at least get rid of the message at start up. And also this next problem:

In the network connections folder, there are no connections listed. In the Internet Explorer properties (on the Connections tab) it lists my two dial up connections, but I can't connect through there. On the Advanced tab of the Windows Firewall control panel applet, it says network settings have become corrupt and click restore default. I've done that, twice, but it doesn't work - most likely because the registry isn't saving at shut down everytime. I suspect the registry has something to do with no network connections showing.

I read through article 269019, but it didn't help. The key exists and is all the way it should be.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I've found websites suggesting install the User Profile Hive Clean up service, but many say this doesn't fix the problem.

I'm sure this is mostly down to the registry, but I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thank you.

(sorry if this has posted more than once - the forum was showing some errors after I clicked the "post" button)

Have you tried System mechanic? it has a very good registry clean and repair option in the program.

compguy13 said:
Have you tried System mechanic? it has a very good registry clean and repair option in the program.

Hi compguy,

thanks for your reply. No I haven't tried that, but I think my problem now that I have done more research is related to the registry not closing correctly at shut down. ie, a process is still using it and won't close it.

I have tried everything Microsoft suggest - adding registry keys, re-registring DLLs etc. Nothing helps.

I thought User Profile Hive clean up might help, but I'm not sure. I don't want to install or change things to much in case Windows decides then not to start!

Have you or anyone else got any more ideas? This problem is annoying. I found a work around for connecting to the internet on it, but the registry recovery alert everytime at log on is getting very annoying.

Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back