TechSpot

XP reinstall can't recognize partition -- RAW or unformatted

By Ken Spammer
Feb 6, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I formatted one hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP and updated it to SP2. I used my other hard drive to backup information. I even unplugged the backup HD so I wouldn't accidentally partition that one. When I plugged back in the backup hard drive (which has 2 partitions) Windows XP recognized one fine but the other it doesn't recognize the file structure on the drive. XP claims it is not formatted and asks if I would like to format. My Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tool reports the hard drive as 2 partitions, both NTFS. The problem partition is Partition(0) and the working one is Partition(1).

I used Windows XP install to partition and format the hard drives perviously.

Maybe there is a problem is having two hard drives with partitions that are bootable? I tried putting the problem drive on a seperate EIDE cable and tried switching the jumpers to get something but to no avail.

It has always been NTFS and nothing changed on the drive.

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this problem and possibly a utility that could be used to recover the data.

Thanx in advance

Ken

System specs

Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
    2 x 512 Crucial Memory
    120 GB Western Digital HD
    160 GB Western Digital HD
    ATI Radeon 9700 AIW
    NEC 8x DVD-RW
    Plexwriter 40x12x40

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.