TechSpot

XP reinstall can't recognize partition -- RAW or unformatted

By Ken Spammer
Feb 6, 2005
  1. I formatted one hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP and updated it to SP2. I used my other hard drive to backup information. I even unplugged the backup HD so I wouldn't accidentally partition that one. When I plugged back in the backup hard drive (which has 2 partitions) Windows XP recognized one fine but the other it doesn't recognize the file structure on the drive. XP claims it is not formatted and asks if I would like to format. My Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tool reports the hard drive as 2 partitions, both NTFS. The problem partition is Partition(0) and the working one is Partition(1).

I used Windows XP install to partition and format the hard drives perviously.

Maybe there is a problem is having two hard drives with partitions that are bootable? I tried putting the problem drive on a seperate EIDE cable and tried switching the jumpers to get something but to no avail.

It has always been NTFS and nothing changed on the drive.

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this problem and possibly a utility that could be used to recover the data.

Thanx in advance

Ken

System specs

Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
    2 x 512 Crucial Memory
    120 GB Western Digital HD
    160 GB Western Digital HD
    ATI Radeon 9700 AIW
    NEC 8x DVD-RW
    Plexwriter 40x12x40

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.