XP reload now internet won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alibama2

Good morning.

Hope someone can help me with this problem. I had some issue on my computer and had to do a complete reinstall of xp. I reformated the drive and reloaded everything.

I have a Dell Dimension Desktop with Cox Internet I have a lynksys Router and a Lynksys modem. Then I have two laptops that are both wireless.

I reloaded XP media yesterday and all of that worked fine. I reloaded the drivers from the Cd but I have no internet connection. When I go into my computer right click on properties and then on hardware it shows netword divices but it shows it with a yellow ! Point. I did install the modem cd.

The two laptops still have their wireless connection. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Thanks,

So, the desktop PC has a wired (Ethernet) connection to the router and the network adapter shows up with a yellow exclamation mark against it in the Device Manager.

I would identify the PC's motherboard if it isn't a brand-name PC and visit the board's manufacturer's site for driver updates for the network adapter. I would uninstall the adapter and then install the new driver.

But your PC is a Dell, so you should be able to get the driver from Dell's site for that model.

It will only work if there is no red cross or yellow exclamation mark beside its entry in the Device Manager.

By the way, if you have installed the SP3 update, it has caused the networking on many PC not to work.

You can uninstall it under Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

I would follow what Eric has said and reload the driver of that particular device. You can go to support.dell.com and look for the driver of that machine.

To be more precise on what drivers you need use the asset tag of the machine. This will bring a list of drivers that your machine needs. Find the appropriate category, download it, and install it. I believe this will solve the issue.

in case you are wondering how to get to dell since you do not have a connection, just use your laptop to get the driver and a usb flash drive or a cdrom to get it to the desktop machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back