TechSpot

XP Repair Install fails after mistakenly disabling display device

By tank12
Mar 31, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

I would appreciate any help. After trying to install a new video card I mistakenly disabled my display device. So after I reboot either in normal or safe mode the computer stalls on a black screen even though i can hear the hard drive loading. Also, trying "enable VGA mode" from the boot menu doesn't work either.

So instead of doing the sensible thing and going back to the last known good configuration, I attempted a repair install... several times. Then I tried going back to the last known good configuration... now I get a screen, "Setup is being restarted" which never goes away. The HD is busily active for a while & initially loads stuff off the install CD; then works away for a while longer & stops.

I suspect that on the screen I ought to be seeing, there's a dialog waiting for me to input something like maybe the License Key or something... I'd really like to avoid having to wipe it all out & start over, but I'm all out of ideas :confused:

Anybody know how I can re-activate the default display driver?

Thanks
  2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

Isn`t there something in the recovery console that allows you to enable things ?
  3. tank12

tank12 TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes, there is an enable command but I can't find anything that has to do with vga or display.
  4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

5. tank12

Ok, tried enabling vgasave through recovery console. No change.
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

try booting in safe mode.
  7. tank12

yeah, I already mentioned in my first post safe mode doesn't work.

Anyway, I just ended up installing windows all over again.

Thanks Anyway
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.