XP repaired..Now won't update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone..

History:
My windows XP on my DESKTOP woudn't go past a certain stage. It gave me an error message...

system32/drivers/ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt.

It woudn't login to safemode or restore to last known configuration.

NOW:

I reinstalled windows using the repair option via CD. All is well and I am very greatful that I didn't lose anything!

BUT it doesn't recognize my copy of windows as valid! Says "you may be a victim of software counterfieting"..etc. and as a result I can't update windows!

I bought my desktop and laptop at the same time. Both are HP and both operate with Windows XP Home. I only had one "Windows XP " CD which I think came with my laptop. (The one I used to repair windows on my desktop)

I have both product keys but what do I do now???

GRgirl said:
Hi everyone..

History:
My windows XP on my DESKTOP woudn't go past a certain stage. It gave me an error message...

system32/drivers/ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt.

It woudn't login to safemode or restore to last known configuration.

NOW:

I reinstalled windows using the repair option via CD. All is well and I am very greatful that I didn't lose anything!

BUT it doesn't recognize my copy of windows as valid! Says "you may be a victim of software counterfieting"..etc. and as a result I can't update windows!

I bought my desktop and laptop at the same time. Both are HP and both operate with Windows XP Home. I only had one "Windows XP " CD which I think came with my laptop. (The one I used to repair windows on my desktop)

I have both product keys but what do I do now???

As long as your keys are genuine then phone microsoft and explain what happened, they will sort it out for you on the phone and reactivate the OS.

Regards

CAll Microsoft

Yeah, Call Bill Gates...err...Microsoft.

Their Toll Free number is 00-800-2468-1688. The Customer Service Rep who'll answer most likely is from China (note the accent), so bear with it. Tell them your story, and if you pass their "interrogation" you'll be given a 42-number activation code (have your pen and paper ready).

Btw, when did you bought your Laptop? Was it repaired previously (like HDD replacement)? Did you ask your store if they have used your product key from other units?

In case the store knowingly used a fake XP installer...cheers, you might be eligible for a $1,000,000 reward. No Kidding. So call now!

I just called. I didn't understand weather the rep said with or wif?? :confused:

Anyway....not helpful at all. She told me to email customer support because she was just a customer service rep not a tech ...????

She gave me the following link: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and told me to email my problem to the help center.

Why is this so difficult? I paid for thier services! Unbelievable.

Go ahead...e-mail the provided link. You'll be lucky if you get a reply in 60 days!!! I have one concern e-mailed to MS since January, up to now I haven't got an answer. What I'm saying is...they don't give a damn for non-corporate clients.

What you can do is pressure your Laptop store to provide the solution. Besides, you're their customer.

GRgirl said:
I just called. I didn't understand weather the rep said with or wif?? :confused:

Anyway....not helpful at all. She told me to email customer support because she was just a customer service rep not a tech ...????

She gave me the following link: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and told me to email my problem to the help center.

Why is this so difficult? I paid for thier services! Unbelievable.

Ring back
say " my XP wont activate and i'm not hanging up until it does"
they will ask you to run the activatiion sequence
then they will give the key

Dont take Bullsh*t from them you are the customer......

Regards

That's what I am doing now...LOL...I'm on hold

I asked to speak to a manager after they told me to call HP for the magic answer. I called HP before when it crashed and they wanted $99 because I was out of warranty. So thats not going to happen :mad:

All I want to do is update to service pack 2 but in order for that to happen I have to re-activate windows.

As I wrote IDIDMYC600 a while ago (see today's post), If I had my way I could send you a "copy" of XP installers, where It can be bought in our place for a measly $1.45 a copy.

In case you're going for a "Class Suit Action". count me in.

Guys....thank you sooooo much! I appreciate all your help sincerely. :)

I persisted and they finally connected me to a tech from Windows microsoft. She was also from another country and also with an accent but at least she got the job done!

I was on the phone for a while and it was difficult understanding her. I had to ask her to repeat herself and talk a little slower because otherwise there was no way! After she helped me fix the issue she connected me to her supervisor to rate the help she gave and rate microsoft overall. I made sure I mentioned my previous conversations with the other incompetent reps that I spoke with :evil: :D The manager assured me that the appropriate actions will be taken.

As for the problem:

1.We downloaded Sp2 from an alternate site
2. Saved it on my desktop
3. Rebooted in safe mode with networking and then installed it from there.

We then rebooted in reg mode and walaaa! It was there :)

Thanks again!!

microsoft is lame.
i made my computer in the US.
i talk to someone in india wtf.
i built my computer for xmas i had my hard drive in another computer with my windows on it.
i transfered it and it took me 3 hours to explain i switched the hard drive in my computers
they have to much control!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back