XP Service Pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogenmaster

Just I thought I would let anyone know that file planet is hosting service pack 2. Here is the link

http://www.fileplanet.com/download.aspx?f=14412

Before I install it I was wondering if anyone here has installed and had any issues. I am using Norton Internet Security will the new XP firewall conflict with it. Do I even need the new firewall since I all ready have Norton? My system is running great I don't need another MS patch to fix that for me.

Think I'll wait at least a week or two before I download it.
Keep a close eye on forums. Problems are things I can do without!!!!!

Not that I'm suspecting any problems (ha ha!)

I got SP 2 thru automatic updates last night, no problems so far, (I already had a beta version installed). I haven't had any problems with the programs and games that I use. Since I've got Norton AV, I'm not using the Window's firewall.

I had to reboot my cable modem and WAP/router after the install for the first 2 or 3 times restarting the machine in order to access the internet but that problem has seemed to of remedied itself. It also reset all my program access settings in zonealarm somehow.

All in all i see no reason to install it.

Install went well.....seemed a bit sluggish. Then, come gaming time, BF1942 (and all it's respective mods) wouldn't function properly, then just wouldn't launch. Well, I ran the uninstall (15 minutes) which "didn't" fix the issue. The next day (I held myself back from kicking the box) I restored back 2 days. Issues resolved. I've since cleaned things up, run a chkdsk and defrag. All back to normal. I think I'll wait until SP2.a or some such thing.

Sluggish Games

I installed SP2 this morning but before I did I ghosted my partitionw with windows on it. I was just playing c&c generals and MOHAA breakthough and both of them played as well as ever. Seems to have reset all my allowed programs list in Norton internet security. Hopefully the security fixes are worth the trouble to people, seems to me if you already have decent anti-virus and firewall software SP2 is not needed.

I have just Installed Service Pack 2 a few days ago. Everything seemed fine, but now. I have been having trouble from time to time with explorer.exe crashing.

The problem was only when right clicking on a file, but now it appears it also happens when I go to delete a file. But explorer crashes and gives me an error.

Explorer.exe
The instruction at "0x014f415b" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

This problem happens intermittently as well. But has only started with the installation of Service Pack 2. And the files I am deleting or right clicking can be anything, eg. Shortcut, .dll, .jpg. Anything. I am not saying it happens with only those 3 types, I’m saying it happens with ANY file at all.

In addition to Windows itself gone bad it may be some other piece of software like a shell extension (have you installed any programs that might put themselves in the context menu?) or spyware/virii or a hardware issue like bad RAM.

I've recently installed XP SP 2, and I'm having the same problem as deza992450. Right clicking on an icon on the desktop causes it to crash, copying, deleting, & renaming files all cause it to crash. I'm convinced my problem is related to, or the same as what deza992450 mentioned.

Is there a certain program w/ a crappy shell extention that is known to cause these kinds of problems? I've already gone as far as reinstalling windows XP, which fixed the problem, but after putting SP2 back on, the problem is back.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Have you tried slipstreaming SP2 onto an XP CD & doing a clean install from there ?

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

Thanks for the response! Actually, I don't know what slipstreaming is, so I haven't tried it. I'll ask our 'puter person about it & research it a bit...

Service Pack 2?

Should i install or not? I heard that it has just made problems for many?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back