XP Setup Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to install WIndows XP Pro Corporate Edition. It gets formatted to NTFS and restarts then with 39 minutes left, a blue screen comes up that says:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

***Stop: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFFC, 0x00000000, 0x8053E407, 0x00000000)

I came upon this:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=171003&sd=RMVP

It says it is a RAM problem that can be located in several areas, including the secondary RAM cache, the video RAM, or the computer's main memory!!

I thought there was only one type of RAM!

It says to disable all caching on the computer, including the CPU cache and L2 cache, in the computer's CMOS settings. Then it says to refer to the computer's documentation regarding the computer's CMOS configuration tool.

How do I do this??? How do I disable all caching? The computer wont even start. I was installing windows and it never completed. I get a black screen at startup if I dont continue installation, and if I do continue, I get the same blue screen over and over!

Can I disable caching in MSDOS? How do I do this??

Please help.

I'm working on a HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop.

I think you are encountering a problem i have seen before. Basically its the wrong installation for that pc. The install you are trying to use undoubtedly has service pack 2 in it, you need a service pack 1 version or the install that came with the pc.
I have seen this problem with several hp pavilions and have had to get cd's from hp to sort it.

rik said:
. . . I have seen this problem with several hp pavilions and have had to get cd's from hp to sort it.

You wouldn't happen to still have one would you? I'm desperate to get this working. I need it for school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back