XP soundcard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorlonbob

I have just upgraded to XP professional. I updated all drivers that needed it, but the soundcard, a Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo 2 won't work. It is recognised, and i have installed the latest drivers, but nothing. I know the card works fine, but as i am unfamiliar with XP, i wondered if i was doing something wrong? I tried Window 2000 drivers that came with the card, they work a little, but not all channels

Did you uninstall the previous drivers before installing the new ones or did you install over them?

one possible solution is delete the soundcard from device manager reboot and let windows recognize it on start up and re innstall the drivers.

another is, and I dont mean to sound insulting (but this has happend to me in upgrades). make sure that the sound isnt on mute. I have had that happen during an upgrade and spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong only to find that during the upgrade the #@#@$& sound somehow got set on mute.

XP/2000 both contain "Crystal" Drivers. XP might be trying to use them. Check Device Manager & see what the card is installed as.

I had some of the same luck iss had. I installed new drivers and after several reinstalls, I discovered that I didn't look at the s/pdif (digital output). It was checked. As soon as I unchecked it, I had sound. But I said many bad words before I found it. This was on an Audigy, but it might be the same on yours.

Thanks guys. It turned out that my system kept defaulting to a Crystal soundcard, which kept showing up as no drivers installed. Even though i must have installed the official drivers 20 times. I uninstalled the crystal card in device manager, took the card ouyt and put it in an unused pci slot. I started the pc up, installed the Hercules drivers, and it appears to work fine.

Thanks for the help :)

Originally posted by iss
I have had that happen during an upgrade and spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong only to find that during the upgrade the #@#@$& sound somehow got set on mute.

That's a very funny story, and exactly the sort of thing that seems to happen sometimes when you start to upgrade a computer. I think I shall call it the upgrade blues.

I can think of a dozen similar stories, one being the time that I drunkenly fitted a replacement PSU in my machine only to discover that the original's fault was merely the switch being set to "OFF". :eek:

Its funny how when you switch things on, that they start working! ;) :eek:

When a user phones me at work to complain about not getting any sound, the first thing I ask them to check is whether the speakers are plugged in and that the volume is not muted. The simplest explanation is - well, some of the time anyway - generally the correct one.

Originally posted by vorlonbob
Thanks guys. It turned out that my system kept defaulting to a Crystal soundcard, which kept showing up as no drivers installed. Even though i must have installed the official drivers 20 times. I uninstalled the crystal card in device manager, took the card ouyt and put it in an unused pci slot. I started the pc up, installed the Hercules drivers, and it appears to work fine.

Thanks for the help :)

Glad you got it sorted. In this case it wasn't the simplest explanation, but instead that the software lets the hardware down again. I guess that happens a lot too.

I've experienced this similar situation befor ewith my Fortissismo III 7.1, got fed up after installing 5 times. Similar respond like yours occured. I ended up ditching the new drivers and installed the original drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back