XP Sp1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unholywater

I'm trying to install Service Pack 1 for Windows XP, but when I download it from Microsoft's site from Windows Update, it does nothing.

How do I get it to install? Is there another link I can get Sp1 from?

I've had that happen a few times, don't know why. You can go to the downloads section here at TechSpot, and then OS Updates and try it from there.

Try the network SP1 install on Microsoft's site.

It's roughly 130mb, but it is the complete package you can install from your HDD, rather than the cheesy web install you get if you download it from WindowsUpdate or the home user version.

It is a single EXE file... The file installs itself by double clicking on it.. Honest. :)

If it isn't installing for you, then there is something seriously wrong. Very odd.

Do your other executables work properly?

I've had instances where other programs have influenced being able to see open programs. For example, MSMIN.exe has oft caused me problems. :) Make sure absolutely everything in Task Manager is closed that can be closed under "Processes".

Also, if your XP is not activated, you would have a simliar problem. If you are using a crack to circumvent registration or just have not activated it yet, this may be the cause.

Other than that... I don't know. Hmm.

Lastly, try searching the microsoft knowledge base for something like sp1 will not run. (In my signature)

For example, here is a possible solution I found:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330089

If you are using the professional version of xp, you might need to be logged in as the administrator and have a valid password that windows thinks is secure to install service packs.

I had the same problem trying to install programs in Windows Server 2003. It required that I was logged in as the admin and had a password.

I'm logged in as Administrator. I try to run the Update.exe file, but it doesn't do anything. I activated Windows XP without any cracks. It still doesn't run.

rick

a god .......should never admit.........that you do not know...........i noticed you also lost that pirated software tattoo.....very godlike:cool:

then go to

the windows service pack 1a website............it should tell you in your installation history if it was sucessful or not........just hit the read more link related to sp1a........ and at the bottom of the pop-up is the link to the site.......it may shed light on your situation

It doesn't matter if you are logged in as an administrator if you have the policy enabled that requires a acceptable password. I was logged in as an admin too but couldn't run xp-antispy in the newest version of windows because of the security policy that requires a 8 character password.

If there were a problem running the file due to security permissions, wouldn't there be an error? Something like, "You do not have sufficient privelages.. blah blah blah"?

Try searching for wupdmgr.exe...click on it, this will bring you to the MS XP update site, the website will scan your pc and recommend you updates which include SP1 if you don't have one.

LoL. Quite a mess!

A second-to-last ditch idea.. But perhaps try to "repair" your XP installation by booting from the CD and following the install process. You probably know the drill. ;)

You can also slip-stream SP1 into your Windws XP CD and build a new one.. You can upgrade to SP1 from the XP installation, rather than trying to install it from Windows. If you need more information on slip streaming, I'll be happy to help you out. There's a wealth of info on the internet though.

Other than that, waiting for SP2 might be an option as well as formatting (Don't give up yet, though!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back