XP SP2 fresh install running SLOOOWW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, please help!

Just formatted and clean installed XP SP2 (had SP1 before), running same virus/security prog as before (Mcaffee), except now windows boot up takes nearly 1 minute, the system pauses for ages on the welcome screen and the performance once booted is terrible -- i can see the mouse cursor freezing intermittently as it moves over the desktop!!!

In my music software, the CPU monitor shows spikes to 100% usage every few seconds when I'm not doing anything!!!!

I have used msconfig to remove start progs i dont need, now mostly just Mcaffee progs are left which are needed for virus/firewall. Please help!!!! Should I try reformatting and reinstalling Sp2????

System specs (unchanged from previous install which was fast and smooth):

Athlon 2600XP
1gig RAM
Asus Nforce2 motherboard (drivers installed)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (drivers installed)
Hammerfall PCI soundcard
2 x IDE Hard disks
USB Midi interface (drivers installed)

Thanks
Mandrake

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

In my music software, the CPU monitor shows spikes to 100% usage every few seconds when I'm not doing anything!!!!

Can you tell us exactly which software is causing these cpu spikes?

Maybe uninstalling, and reinstalling the software would help. Also, check for any updates/patches that might be available.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howard, good to be here :)

The music software is Cubase SX. However, even when no programs are running, the mouse stutters across the desktop. I think Cubase just shows up the random CPU activity that seems to be permanently occurring.

I'm guessing it might be some driver conflict with sp2?

Thanks for the quick reply,
Mandrake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back