XP SP2 is it worth the download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terranova

I was wondering is it worth downloading SP2, i dont use Internet explorer as my browser as i cant stand the problems you get with it, i use Mozilla firefox instead, so have the problems been solved with SP2 and if not is it still worth a download for the other features, ie the firewall. thanx for any info.

Check out this thread -> https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14789

What it amounts to really is that things that are broken with SP2 are in most cases fixable with a patch for that program. Those things that aren't fixed yet may be fixed soon.

I recommend taking a look at that list, and seeing then if you have any software that will be broken, if you do, then check the software developer's website and see if they have a patch or some such to fix it.

Really no reason that I can think of not to if you can get what you have up to date so it works.

I don't know if this is typical or not, but out of the 4 people I know who installed sp2, only 2 were successful. One persons wouldn't boot, and he uninstalled it. The other person had explorer crashing every 2 seconds (that isn't an exaduration). So he tried uninstalling it, and that really screwed it up. He reinstalled xp.

Mine is running great now, after I reinstalled some things here and there, mostly browser plugins and addons like the google toolbar, etc.

If you are having lots of problems, you could think about doing a clean install and then installing SP2 immediately. That would probably be better than running unpatched.

SP2 broke a few things for me (DivX codec won't work with SP2 just yet), but it also fixed some problems I was having before (my cdrom drives now refresh the contents list correctly when a new disc is inserted). Well worth installing IMHO.

I was getting IE crashes, but you just have to remove and then reinstall any extra toolbars or other features like that.

I noticed it broke my HP Photosmart 733 digital camera. When I would connect the camera instead of the camera being recognised it would say that the device I have connected is malfunctioning, and to try again. And if that didn't fix it to 'replace the device'. I didn't think that was a good option since it works on non sp2 machines.
I haven't checked for a fix, but for various other reasons I killed my longest lasting windows install and reinstalled XP with SP1.

I've been running it for a while now and it's pretty nice. I don't notice anything like a problem. And it too solved my cd-drive refresh problem.

I'd say for looks and interaction its more of a dummy-safe Windows XP that alerts you more about security. But, of course, it's always good to be updated with Windows. But if its not working for you, you can always remove it since it archives no matter what on install.

SP2 works great for me

never had a problem since i installed
infact i dont need zone alarm anymore
its worth a try
make restore point before you install it

or use GHOST

sp2 problems

I tried to install sp2 last week and it caused my system to crash completely I ended up having to format and reinstall sp1. Sorry but for me it`s not worth the trouble especialy since my system was running just fine before. I wouldn`t touch sp2 again with a barge pole I think it causes more problems than it solves. Having said all that I must say that some of my friends have installed sp2 with no problems except for it breaking the odd piece of softwear. I guess it all depends on your system. Regards Howard :grinthumb

Originally posted by Phantasm66
If you are having lots of problems, you could think about doing a clean install and then installing SP2 immediately. That would probably be better than running unpatched.

I've streamed SP2 into an XP CD here in a corporate setting for some system loads and in that setting, it seems to work flawlessly. My guess is that it doesn't clean out all of the SP1 files it needs to if installed over the top.

Howard - if you just reformatted and reinstalled your OS now might be the best time to give SP2 a try :) Chances are it will work well for you now and the previous problems you had were other software related issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back