XP SP3 Reboot with bugchecks

By vincentyu
Mar 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, my pc suffered several reboots with no apparent reason. Checking the event log reveals bugchecks with codes: 0x100000c5 and 0x1000007e. I've attached the minidumps. Please help!

My HW config: Intel DG41TX mobo with latest BIOS(0053) and drivers, Intel Celeron E3300 2.5GHz, 2x2GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz RAM, 500GB 7200rpm 3.5" Seagate HD
    My SW config: XP SP3 with latest patches

Attached Files:

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Your issue is with the Avast driver aswTdi.sys. Avast is a solid Tier 1 security software though even the best have issues. I have seen it with other Tier 1 offerings from Kaspersky and ESET's NOD32 as well.

See if there are updates for your software. What other security measures do you have installed and are running?
  3. vincentyu

vincentyu TS Member Topic Starter

My avast! is the free version and I think it's up-to-date @ v6.0.1000. I don't have any other security products installed beside avast!. Windows firewall is used though.

What about the other dump? What does that one say?
  4. Route44

Your other error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

Only a Windows OS driver was cited and they are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help.

Check Event Viewer for additional information. Look for Yellow Triangles and especially RED Xs and what they flag.

Start > Run > type in EventVwr.msc > Okay
  5. vincentyu

vincentyu TS Member Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply.
    There are no yellow or red entries in the event viewer. The only ones are 'Information' entries named 'Save dump'. The one correspond to the 2nd dump has the following entry:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0x8052a905, 0xba4e7af4, 0xba4e77f0). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini031211-01.dmp.

BTW, when it crashed it immediately went to the bios screen and rebooted. I didn't have a chance to see the BSOD. It seemed as if someone had pressed the reset switch suddenly.
  6. Route44

Post again with your latest minidumps.
  7. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

Excuse me poking my nose in here but looking at the error codes from the first post the C5 error is almost always due to drivers and that can also cause a 7E.

In this case I would run Driver Verifier to quickly check if this is indeed a driver issue. Follow the guide below.

8. Route44

Yes, I realize that which is why I had him do Event Viewer. Second, why I want him to post his next patch of minidumps.
  9. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

May be I got it wrong, but isn't Driver Verifier the quickest way to find faulty driver/s unless the minidumps have some consistency which they frequently don't. I am always keen to learn from someone with considerably more experience.