XP STOP Errors -APM related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past few weeks I've been having a problem with STOP errors that I just can't figure out. I'm running the latest and greatest of all the drivers for my system and the problem seems to be getting worse instead of better.
I've got an Asus A8N-E with AMD64 3000+, ATI X700 PCIe video card abd a SATA harddrive. I'm using the sound and network on the motherboard. Following the advice in this forum I ran memtest86+ and in three separate sessions with anywhere from 8 to 14 passes I got no errors. I don't *think* it's RAM, but of course I don't know what it is so anything's possible. The reason I think the problem could be related to APM is that it only seems to have the problem if I'm not physically using the machine. It may be downloading, encoding movies, etc. as long as I'm using it, no problem. If I leave the room for an hour I almost always come back to find it's rebooted. I had some info showing up in the event log but after some research I've been able to correct most of what I was seeing, but I still have this issue and now I get nothing of interest in the event log (at least that my untrained eyes can find). I've attached 5 minidumps. Any thoughts?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your problem is caused by NVTcp.sys. This is your Nvidia firewall.

This is a known issue on some systems/configurations.

Download the free Sygate firewall from HERE

Now disconnect from the internet, and uninstall your Nvidia firewall.

Reboot your computer, and install the Sygate firewall, and reconnect to the internet.

Let us know the outcome please.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Ok we'll see what happens

I've taken your advice. I'll definitely let you know what happens. I'm interested in how you actually deduced that from the minidumps (or did you even have to use them)? What tool are you using to read them? I'm very appreciative of the help, but I'd like to be on the "Teach a man to fish" program so I can avoid having to ask the same type of questions over again. Who knows I might even be able to help someone else out one day.

All your minidumps except one crashed at NVTcp.sys. I have seen this issue quite a lot and knew what the cause was.

If you are interested in reading minidumps, take a look at this quick tutorial HERE

The tool I use to read minidumps is called windbg, and is part of the Windows debugging tools.

You will find a link to the programme in the above tutorial.

Regards Howard :) :)

Toshiba a75 won't boot

Hi, i have a toshiba a75-s206. A couple days ago, i ordered a 512 mb of ram from newegg. after i installed it, the computer worked fine (much faster and more efficient) but yesterday, after a couple windows updates, and i restarted the computer, it came up with a blue screen saying: Stop:c000007b {bad image} the application or DLL \??\C:\Windows\system32\winsrv.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
What should i do?
PS. I do not have a copy of the recovery cd, as i lost it at school. If anyone would be willing to send me a copy of it, i would greatly appreciate it, but if other solutions exist, please let me know.

Page fault in non paged area

Hello everyone, I am Amram. I have a pretty nice computer. Lately, though, I've been having some problems with these errors called stop errors. The computer screen just turns blue and has numbers and letters on it. One thing it says is that theres a "page fault in a nonpaged area". I have no idea what this means. This blue screen occurs quite often and its becoming irritating. While I'm in the middle of something it just flashes that blue screen, then I have to restart it. I will attatch a couple of the mini dump files to this message. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice in the least that you could give me to help me resolve this problem.....please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back