XP to XP will not share

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

A friend of mine is trying to set up a minor network: one pc on XP to a laptop also on XP. This is a wired network, each have their own nic, wired via a switch. This is running via a cable network.

PC us sending and receiving packets

laptop is receiving but not sending

Firewalls are both Sygate Personal free and are set to work on a network. (they were on ZoneAlarm originally, didnt like it, so reverted to Sygate)

If I run the laptop by itself, directly via the modem it happily gets on line

Send it back to it's own place: "limited or no connection". Same happens if I swap the pc for the laptop.

Any help? If so, I feel a few beers coming on!

Cheers

Jo

josbd said:
A friend of mine is trying to set up a minor network: one pc on XP to a laptop also on XP. This is a wired network, each have their own nic, wired via a switch. This is running via a cable network.

PC us sending and receiving packets

laptop is receiving but not sending

Firewalls are both Sygate Personal free and are set to work on a network. (they were on ZoneAlarm originally, didnt like it, so reverted to Sygate)

If I run the laptop by itself, directly via the modem it happily gets on line

Send it back to it's own place: "limited or no connection". Same happens if I swap the pc for the laptop.

Any help? If so, I feel a few beers coming on!

Cheers

Jo

So no router here I take it? So you got a cable modem and you got a switch that's it?

For each PC setup IP address.

PC 1

IP: 192.168.1.2
Submask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

PC 2 : 192.168.1.3
Submask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

And etc..

Don't hookup the Cable Modem just yet

See if you can connect with the 2 or 3 PCs first.

Ping -f -i 50 192.168.1.2 (for pc one)

see if you get hits instead of losses.

Make sure you set all your NIC cards to auto instead of 10/100.

Yep: cable modem, switch, no router. I do have a spare Netgear router hanging about here, might that make life easier?

I should also have said that he installed netBEUI to see if that might work. Same result.

Thanks mate, shall give your suggestion a go.

Cheers!

"Limited or no connection" in XP almost invariably means that the computer is set to receive an IP via DHCP, but that no DHCP could be reached. If you do not have a router or other device handing out leases, you'll need to statically assign an address as the poster above mentioned.

"Limited or no connection" means that your ip settings are wrong.
Just uninstall all firewall software that you have.
I had similar problem and for about 2 months I tried 1000 things to solve it and at last i figured out that the problem was in Panda's firewall. Even I set a rules to allow all traffic and all ports between the network pc's it blocks them from time to time and made me crazy.
I can give you an advise to not connect you cable modem to you switch to give all the pc internet connection.
Buy a router if you can and forget about firewalls and ip configuration.

Thanks chaps. I am going over there in a couple of days to see what I can do, and shall report back.

As for firewalls, he was using ZA, will install Sygate Pro.

It's weird, I dont think I have ever had a problem networking xp to xp.

Thanks for all of your help!

Jo

OK, I have tried all of the above. The result is that I can at least get them to share files, but not the internet connection.

Think I should just give up and stick a router on there instead of the switch?

To take router is the best solution of course. But if you made them to share so you can make them to have internet on both.
First tell your network configuration.
(configuration 1)Your cable modem is connected to the switch and your pc's are connected to the switch or (configuration 2)your cable modem is connected to nic1 on pc1 and nic2 on pc1 is connected to the switch and pc2 is connected to the switch?
If your ISP is giving you an ip by DHCP you can't use configuration 1 from the above and you must use configuration 2. You can use configuration 2 by enabling internet connection sharing on pc1 and you will be ok. Or you can run software proxy on pc1 to share internet to pc2. Good proxy - ccproxy:
Code:
http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/
I am using configuration 2 but instead of switch I am using crossover cable and ccproxy.
But you will evade all this by buying router. The router is making all the nessesary settings automatically - sharing internet, ip settings, firewall etc..

Ahhhhhh think that could be the prob then.

He is using config 1, and the ISP was giving the IP by DHCP......

Shall try your suggestion AND take the spare router I have!

Thank you very much mate!

And thanks to everyone who gave me advice, I very much appreciate it!

Jo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back