XP Toolbar

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I remove unwanted items, such as a search bar put onto my toolbar with my permission. I can go to View, Toolbars, and uncheck it but it comes right back. Is there a way to remove it from the ToolBar menu so I will never see it again. I detest these site that places items onto your computer at will such as ToolBar items and change my Internet home page.
Any help appreciated.
Guyman

great question. one that comes up a lot. spyware/adware as it's called ends up on people's computers without them even knowing half the time.
there are 2 great programs (free too) to help.
first go to http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ and download the free version of Ad-aware (highly rated software) and install it. upgrade to the latest definitions and perform a scan. it'll scan your drive, much like an anti virus program, and when it's done you can select all the things that shouldnt be there.
the other is called spybot search and destroy... use that if adaware cant get rid of something. http://security.kolla.de/ the site seems to be down at the moment, you can probably find it elsewhere on line though.

is there something in registry editor that i can change to get rid of some items
cause i got some items in there that arnt spyware

If adaware and spybot don't get rid of them, look in Add/Remove Programs and see if they are listed there, you might also be able to find them in the Registry(search for terms related to the offending item) If you need any help with Regedit, go to the Registry link in my signature.
You might aslo tell us what it is you are trying to get rid of, someone may have run into the same thing before.

Just about any tool bar classifies as spyware and Ad-Aware will remove it.

For repectable programs that you installed by choice, there is almost always an un-install option in Start/Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs

ok i got rid of the stuff i wanted gone
but i also have a problem with the address bar not staying where i want it
i want it like this
WE1.jpg

but after a restart it goes away
it doesnt save my settings:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back