XP triple boot with 98 and BEOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYOB

I have XP installed on my Primary Master hard disk, and 98 on my secondary slave Hard disk. Can I get them to Dual-boot, and if so, how?

I also forgot to say that I want to install BEOs on a 2gb Partition on the XP Hard drive. The XP hard drive has a 38GB NTFSpartition for XP and a totally empty FAT32 Partition on whihh i want to put on BEOs

Dual booting
Win/98se & XP dual boot
Dual Boot XP then 98
Where are your 98's boot files located? (SYSTEM.1ST, MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS)
If you're installing BeOS PE, it creates a 500M image into your existing partition. You can then use its DriveSetup to create a BFS partition (just initialize that 2Gb partition) where to copy all the files. If it's Pro version you're installing, its Installer asks where to install it, runs DriveSetup as well, and lets you initialize that 2Gb partition. In other words, you don't need to have an existing partition for installing BeOS. And it doesn't care if it's primary or logical partition, either :)

I remebered th BeOs thing, and got it running last night. The Win98 files are all on the Secondary Slave 4Gb drive

In addition to links aforementioned I suggest that you take a look at 3DSpotLight's Full Guide to OS Dual Booting. Those combined should pretty much cover what's needed to boot between 9x & XP. XP performs the same way as Win2k, so if you see "Win2k" somewhere, just read it as XP.
After you've succeeded dual-booting with 9x & XP, boot from BeOS CD (if not using PE), install it and in the end install BootMan. Tick the partitions you want to choose from, which is default and how long it waits, and you're done.
If you want to add BeOS to your startup choices after you've installed it, you'll need to do one of the following:
1 - Boot from BeOS boot floppy, run /boot/beos/bin/bootman
2 - Boot from BeOS CD, hit space during startup, select to boot from existing BeOS partition, run /boot/beos/bin/bootman
3 - Boot from BeOS CD, mount the BeOS partition with DriveSetup, hit CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+T in Installer screen to launch Terminal, run /boot/beos/bin/bootman and when it asks you to save the old MBR, replace /boot with the BeOS partition's name you just mounted. Close Installer, don't install again :).

If all else fails, try using BOOTPART. It will create a file that NT4/2K/XP can use as part of the boot loader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back