TechSpot

XP Upgrade from W2K

By epic099
Nov 23, 2004
  1. XP Upgrade from W2K Boot Problem

System Specs, dual amd 1.8 G Chaintech motherboard (7KDD0), 1 G Memory, 2 HD's (Raid) 3 monitors AGP ATI 9200, 2 PCI's ATI Radeon 7000's

The problem is I can boot to safe mode and then do a restart and it will boot fine. If I do a shut down from safe mode it hangs at the XP is starting window (after 3 or 4 passes of the blue dots). This is with out adding or changing anything from the safe mode boot. All drivers appear to be installed correctly; nothing is marked/highlighted in device manager.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

3. epic099

epic099 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks,

I have already tried to repair it and I have updated my raid and MB drivers. It didn't fix the problem. I'm on my second install and a new HD. :hotbounce

4. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

It might be there is too much hardware to handle at once, 2 Vid crd,3 monitors, the PnP install wizard might be stressed out!
    Strip back to 1 Vid 1 mon, etc and try again , I would also reset th CMOS after uninstalling the Hardware, and just use default settings in the Bios.

5. epic099

epic099 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the replies....I should be shot, after I installed SP1a everything is running fine.

Again Thanks for the Support

Epic099

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.