XP Upgrade or full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV30

For a new computer, it looks like you need Win98 to get the XP Upgrade version. Does it have to be installed? I don't need the fancy stuff with the full version, just a working copy, and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it either.

Thanks

Win 98 does not have to be installed but you must have the Win 98 disk. before installation begins the upgrade version of XP will require you to insert the Win 98 CD to verify that you have it and are entitled to the upgrade.

why not just buy an oem version of the full win XP? you can get it at places like newegg for 143.00 as long as you buy a piece of hardware with it ( like a stick of memory or someothing.

Well I do have a Win98 CD. I don't want to buy OEM right now, as the place that has XP doesn't supply a lot of hardware and their prices are more expensive, but XP is $30 less than at the place that has better deals on hardware.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Turning upgrade into a full verson

There is a way to turn an upgrade into a full version by copying the files to your hard drive and editing and ini file.

I forgot how. But when I find out I will reply!

Mask

The upgrade cd is the full version, they just give u a price brake for buying previous versions, and it will just ask u for the previous version cd to make sure u have it, then it will install full version xp. you dont have to even install the previous version first, it just wants to verify that u actually have it.

go with full version no service pack headaches
no MB problems like some OEM's
and please should get the pro version

if saving money is your goal, and u have a previous windows version cd, get the upgrade, the only diference is that it will ask u for the previous version cd, just to verify that u have it, that is only diference between upgrade and full version. i would also recomend xp pro. and would create a slipstream install cd with sp1 or sp2, to make it all easier.

i personally only use sp1, cause sp2 causes me problems.

you can order oem win-xp-pro with cd key and c.o.a. (certificate of authenticity) from here for $79.00. it's an oem version and does not need activation.

"There is a way to turn an upgrade into a full version by copying the files to your hard drive and editing and ini file. I forgot how. But when I find out I will reply!"
browse your cd, and find I386 directory
copy all of it's contents to your hard drive in a directory with the same name, like c:\I386
find file: setupp.ini (notice that it has 2 p's)
edit this file using notepad or something. (may have to change the extension of the file from .ini to .txt to edit) and after you change it, you can rename it setupp.ini
inside the file you will find this data:

[Pid]
ExtraData=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pid=55274270

change 270 to OEM
save the file.
if you have renamed the extention to .txt, rename it back to .ini
boot from win-xp cd, and tell it to look for I386 directory in your hard drive instead of cd rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back