XP w/ SP2. Problems related to Swap Space and Lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. thank you for taking the time to read this long post I consider myself above average when it comes to Windows but I'm out of ideas short of reinstalling XP over itself and I can't download the SATA drivers I need right now.

I had my system restart due to a Software Update. When it came back it was stuck in a reboot cycle. The splash screen would occur then it would reboot. I had this happen on a 2003 Server a few months ago. On that system the update corruped something on the hard drive. I was able to use a BartPE cd to run chkdsk and it fixed everything.

I tried that same procedue but because I didn't have the right SATA drivers on the BartCD it wouldn't see the drive.

I then took the drive out of the system it was in and moved it to one of my 2K3 servers. I was able to boot the server and run chkdsk on the SATA drive. It found many errors but fixed them all.

I then put the SATA drive back in the original PC.

Now when I boot I can not log in. As soon as I touch any key on the keyboard the computer locks hard. I can boot into safe mode command prompt only but not regular safemode. If I boot into Safemode Command Prompt Only and try to start the GUI by typing EXPLORER I get a BSOD with a stop message that goes away too quickly to write down.

The motherboard is an ASUS A7V600

can u use the server to get any info u need off the drive and then save it . then i would find the sata drivers for the asus board and reinstall windows on it .

I could try that. However I'm afraid of losing all the saved passwords from Firefox.

I was hoping someone had a solution where I can disable virtual memory from the command prompt so XP deletes the file then I can recreate it without using bad sectors. I do have 1 Gig of ram in the system

Added:

I booted into safemode command prompt and intated a chkdsk for the next reboot. While it was running that chkdsk it BSOD's with just the following

STOP c000021A Unknown Hard Error.

Unknown Hard Error

Found this in a speech from the Microsoft website. Someone might know what it means wish I could help more.

"The next of the most common STOP codes is a STOP C000021A, and is STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED. This STOP code is one of the few STOP codes that is actually a user-mode crash, and it's caused when a user-mode subsystem (be it either one of the two systems Winlogon or CSRSS), is fatally compromised and security of the operating systems can not be guaranteed. This is one of the only user-mode errors that can actually bring down a machine. The cause of this is almost always a third-party application, or if you have mismatched system files. For instance, if you are installing a service pack and the system was either turned off by accident or had another type crash, and when you rebooted, half your files were up to a certain service pack level and others were at a previous level. Another troubleshooting step to resolve that in Windows 2000 if you believe to have mismatched system files is to go to your Start Run Command prompt and type sfc_/scannow, which stands for the system file checker that is part of the Windows file protection technology of Windows 2000. That will go scan all your system files and make sure they all are the same and up-to-date. And if they're mismatched, they will replace them from GLO cache subdirectory."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back