xp will not boot properly, virus software ??quarantined system files

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0ka

hi, i am on holiday in the u.s., i brought mylaptop with me, i left it on and went out a few nights ago, and came back to find it had been infected with one of the virut worms that hide in the exe files and system files, it modifies my virus software and any other software that i downloaded to clean it, but thats beside the point, all i want is my files from the pc, i got all my photos off it onto dvd with no traces of the virus, but today i switched it on and it wont go past the welcome screen, it says loading your settings, then says saving your settings, then it just stays on the welcome screen.I think the virus software has quarantined some of my system files, it kept askingme did i want to while i was making back-ups.. I plan to do a format & re-install after reading about the virut virus but i need some files off the pc, is there any way of repairing xp without my recovery cd which is 5000 miles away...

If you cannot get past the welcome screen in either protected or safe mode, you need to remove the laptop drive and connect it (via an adapter) to a desktop PC which has a decent AV program installed. Once connected you can scan the drive for malware and also extract your data files.
Without your recovery CD it will be very difficult to restore XP.

n0ka said:
i left it on and went out a few nights ago, and came back to find it had been infected with one of the virut worms that hide in the exe files and system files, it modifies my virus software and any other software that i downloaded to clean it, but thats beside the point
That doesn't make any sense, how can virus overwrites your anti virus software before it even have a chance to detect it O.o

But it make sense after you realized you have a virus and dled an anti virus to get ride of the virus, but you never bother scanning it first before installing?

Theres your problem... try scanning your system with those online virus scanner and see if it get the job done. If not i'll take Albert advice.

the virus i have intercepts any software i download and modifies it so it cant be detected, i've tried a few of the online scanners, but they could not clean the virus, only delete the infected files, the infected files are system files that cannot be deleted, i'l use alberts advice and try connecting it to another pc.....the virus is virut o. it only came about at the end of august, i think my virus software was not updated in time, i got over 7000 infections cleaned using various scanners, but there is still more

Windows XP and Virut

the virus i have intercepts any software i download and modifies it so it cant be detected, i've tried a few of the online scanners, but they could not clean the virus, only delete the infected files, the infected files are system files that cannot be deleted, i'l use alberts advice and try connecting it to another pc.....the virus is virut o. it only came about at the end of august, i think my virus software was not updated in time, i got over 7000 infections cleaned using various scanners, but there is still more

nOka,
So sorry about your luck! Going through the same thing with my brother~inlaw's desktop this very moment . . . I really DO understand your frustration!!!
Albert is right . . . you'll have to pull the drive and connect it (via an adapter) to a desktop so you can clean up the mess.

Keep in mind that any files you take off your laptop will have to be cleaned BEFORE your put them on another system!!!

Aside from purchasing a new copy of XP . . . the only other possibility that I can think of at the moment . . . would be to take your laptop to some place like BestBuy or Fry's. You might get lucky and find a soft hearted tech willing to help.

Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back