XP will not repair

fopetesl

Note well: I have two Windows XP 640GB hard drives mirrored (backed up) every week.

Yesterday I suddenly got a spew of pop up error windows too fast to read and I lost Explorer so tried to reboot via Task Manager.
From then on however I could only get into Safe Mode regardless of what choice I made when booting via F8. i.e. boot 'normally' end up in safe mode _but_ with a Microsoft(?) warning about repairing the hard drive and downloading the program below - no program link BTW.

Uh. Oh! I thought ... a virus. Maybe.
So since I couldn't do anything I tried a repair from the Master CD.
First time I got a constant BSOD with dumping memory message.
Second time repair froze half way through installing hardware.
Copy of Master CD - maybe the original is broken.
Repair .. auto reboot I get a constant loop of WIndows loading bar, blank screen, reboot...

So I ran a hard drive surface check, all 640GB of it. No bad sectors found.

The mirror copy hard drive works fine. No hardware issues, (where am I writing this from?).

So if it is a virus it's one I've never seen and I remove viruses, trojans, etc., for anyone who asks me to.

That warning sounds like bogus Microsoft. My suggestion is to go to our Virus and Malware Removal forum and try the UPDATED 8 Step sticky directions.

I am wondering if you have an infection that is deeply entrenched.

Am proceeding...

That warning sounds like bogus Microsoft. My suggestion is to go to our Virus and Malware Removal forum and try the UPDATED 8 Step sticky directions.

Maybe you're right Route44. Am working through thelist but boy! does GMER take a looong time :(

Maybe you're right Route44. Am working through thelist but boy! does GMER take a looong time :(

Hmmm, when I did GMER it didn't take that long for me but perhaps it depends on the situation. Make sure you post on that forum with the required logs pasted in your post.

You'll get excellent help.

UPDATED-8 .. where to post?

I've worked through the steps advised and not without significant problems.
To where do I post my logs, please?

You will need to post on the Virus and Malware Removal forum. You will also need to copy and paste your log reports in your post. Don't worry if they don't all fit in one. Just paste in as many posts as it takes. In your first post make sure you give a brief overview of your sysmptoms and issues and then add your log reports.

Back