XP won't boot after hardware upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently upgraded the mobo, processor, ram and video card in my old desktop, however I forgot to set a generic hardware profile, so I'm stuck with the system restarting and not loading windows. Is there a way that I can change that without going back to the old hardware? If not, I'm going to install another copy of windows on a blank partition, is there a way I can change the hardware profile from this second partition?

[edit] Ok, so I don't have a working XP disk anymore, so I'm installing Fedora Core 5.0 instead. Is there a way for me to change the Windows hardware settings from Linux?

Windows will not start on different hardware. A re-install is always required, but it may not need to be a comnplete install - google to find out how to do a 'repair install' or similar. You need to get windows to rebuild the HAL (hardware abstraction layer), and you presumably do not want to lose data, so thats the best way.

Since you can get at your data via Fedora, you may find it easier to extract what you want and reinstall Windows from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back