XP Won't boot HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernieuk1

I am having a problem getting XP to run. It started with the message \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file missing or currupt I have been into the recovery console and done copy c;\windows\repair\system it said 1file copied I then tried to reboot eyerything seemed to be going fine the error message had gone and it said Loading windows XP but when the logo went off nothing else happens it just stops booting I thought I would go back and try again in recovery console but this time it asks me to select what i would like to repair there was only one option Number 1 I type in 1 then it asks me for the administrator password which I am affaird i have forgotton no matter how I try I can't even remember putting a password in when i installed XP.Can anybody please help

Kindest Regards
Bernieuk1

Boot from your Windows cd and enter the recovery console.

When asked for a password, try just pressing the enter key.

At the command prompt type.

ren c:\windows\system32\config\system system.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks for your help again but still no luck.When I go into recover console it does not give me the option to type anything it just asks which windows installation would you like to log onto the only option it gives me is
1:c:\WINDOWS the only answer it will accept is for me to press1 it is at this stage that it then asks for a password I have tried pressing enter and leaveing it blank but it just tells me incorrect password.

Regards Bernieuk1

I thought of this but i can not back up my data because i can not get my computer to boot up I am writeing this on a friends computer.

Regards bernieuk1

What you could do, is take out your hard drive and put into your friends computer as a slave drive. You could then backup your important data and put the drive back into your computer and reformat and reinstall.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back