TechSpot

XP Won't Boot w/ new Mobo (HELP!)

By EXCellR8
Sep 14, 2007
  1. I recently installed a new motherboard (Abit NF7-S 2.0) and now I cannot get Windows XP to boot up. I made sure to clear the CMOS but for some reason when the WinXP load/splash screen starts to appear, the computer restarts itself. This is really starting to aggravate the hell outta me. I also noticed that my CPU is being read as "Unknown CPU type." I have an Athlon XP-M 2800+ (socket 462/A) that was pulled from another system and worked fine. I'm not sure why I'm having these problems but I could really use some help here! Thanks in advance!

2. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,675

did u reinstall windows when u started using the new mobo, if u did not that is u're problem, to change mobos u have to reinstall windows. or atleast do a repair, but a full reformat and reinstall is the best.

3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that. I didn't get a Windows XP installation disk with my computer when I bought it. I've never reformatted either so I guess I'm screwed. This would have been nice to know before I went and bought a new board.

4. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,122

youll need buy a new copy of windows a retail one would be the best

5. THNDR143

THNDR143 TS Rookie Posts: 58

Athlon XP-M 2800+

Athlon XP-M 2800+ is intended for dual cpu boards and dont have the correct memory controller to run as a single unit. Been there, did this :D Use the non-M athlon cpu

6. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

I used my Athlon XP-M 2800+ on my K7M-NF18G (AU31) mobo which was also a single cpu board and it worked flawlessly. The board picked up what cpu it was and I had no problems.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.