XP Won't Boot w/ new Mobo (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I recently installed a new motherboard (Abit NF7-S 2.0) and now I cannot get Windows XP to boot up. I made sure to clear the CMOS but for some reason when the WinXP load/splash screen starts to appear, the computer restarts itself. This is really starting to aggravate the hell outta me. I also noticed that my CPU is being read as "Unknown CPU type." I have an Athlon XP-M 2800+ (socket 462/A) that was pulled from another system and worked fine. I'm not sure why I'm having these problems but I could really use some help here! Thanks in advance!

did u reinstall windows when u started using the new mobo, if u did not that is u're problem, to change mobos u have to reinstall windows. or atleast do a repair, but a full reformat and reinstall is the best.

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that. I didn't get a Windows XP installation disk with my computer when I bought it. I've never reformatted either so I guess I'm screwed. This would have been nice to know before I went and bought a new board.

Athlon XP-M 2800+

EXCellR8 said:
I recently installed a new motherboard (Abit NF7-S 2.0) and now I cannot get Windows XP to boot up. I made sure to clear the CMOS but for some reason when the WinXP load/splash screen starts to appear, the computer restarts itself. This is really starting to aggravate the hell outta me. I also noticed that my CPU is being read as "Unknown CPU type." I have an Athlon XP-M 2800+ (socket 462/A) that was pulled from another system and worked fine. I'm not sure why I'm having these problems but I could really use some help here! Thanks in advance!

Athlon XP-M 2800+ is intended for dual cpu boards and dont have the correct memory controller to run as a single unit. Been there, did this :D Use the non-M athlon cpu

I used my Athlon XP-M 2800+ on my K7M-NF18G (AU31) mobo which was also a single cpu board and it worked flawlessly. The board picked up what cpu it was and I had no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back