XP wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all please help me i have a systems i lucklly backed up onto another drive.
my problem is the every 4 days my system wont boot i keep having to ghost the drive from my backup then it works for 4 days then the same thing all over again.

I have checked the system for virus and trojons using the latest dats but it still happens every 4 days

the system has a flashing cursor just before boot

What do you mean by "won't boot"? Does it POST? How far does it get before it fails?

BTW: please don't double post.

Hi Stormbringer
It goes through to drives finds them all then just sits with a flashing cursor just before xp boots you cant get to last known good via F8 key nothing ?

Have you identified the problem? I'm having the exact issue with a machine running 98SE. The user swears that they have not installed any software...so who knows, but everything works for a few days and it works after I reload the OS (ghost)

Start computer from xp CD let it load all the drivers and it will get to a window where it will ask you if you want to install XP or repair.

You can repair xp two ways from here.

1 tell xp to install
Will go to another page where it will again ask if you want to install XP pick it. It will than stop at another page where it will again ask if you want to format and install xp or to repair the copy of xp it has found. Pick repair xp will repair your xp with out losing any of your files.

2 tell xp to repair

repair will take you to dos promp after you go though a couple of
adminstrator promps just hit return key if you don't have a password setup.

At the C promp type help and it will open a dir. type in fixboot or bootfix something like that it's in the list. It will repair your boot files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back