XP works only if I disable or uninstall the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
O/S: Windows XP Professional
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Computer: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1400 MHz, 1.40GHz, 384 MB of RAM

Bascially to make a long story short here is the problem:

Basically the computer works if I disable or uninstall the video card. It doesn't work if I don't.
However I can't play games without the video card.

I feel like i've tried everything. I've completly reinstalled WinXP twice as well as tried repairing it. I've tried it with the newest drivers and disabling all startup items. If the video card is not disabled or unistalled WinXP will only load in safe mode.

Any ideas? Thanks.

What motherboard/chipset do you have? If you're unsure, do a net search on CPU-Z and download/run this on your system.

You most likely need to check two things:
1) Download and install the latest chipset, mainboard (and possibly AGP) drivers for your motherboard. We can help you with this if you provide the make/model of your motherboard.
2) Make sure you do not have a device in the PCI slot directly next to the AGP slot as some mainboards allocate them as "shared" resources with the AGP slot. If so, try moving any PCI card there to another free PCI slot.

Thanks Sharkfood,

My motherboard is an Intel D850GB and my chipset is an intel i850.
I downloaded what I think is the latest drivers for both, however they did not have any effect on the problem.
The motherboard driver wanted me to do a complicated installation process, installing it before all other drivers and so forth, I didn't do that (Is it nesscary?)

I think I do have a device in my PCI slot next to my AGP slot... but I have no free PCI slots. Should I? I think have only the basic PCI cards...

I should have also mentioned this problem only began after installing a new boot drive and installing WinxpPro on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back