XP x64 Setup runs at every boot, and fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My main issue right now is an XPPro x64 machine that I tried to reinstall the OS on (the reason for this is a long story), aborted the install (using F3 - I thought I did this before the actual setup had begun to change things on the disk, but apparently not), and now whenever it boots setup resumes, and then fails horribly, causing the machine to restart, and... so on.

Luckily, the HD is partitioned, so most of the user's data is safe. Plus, using an Ubuntu booter, we scarfed his My Documents off the C: drive and onto another machine on our network. Ubuntu RULES. :)

Is there a way to:

1. stop setup from running when the machine boots (is there a setting somewhere that tells setup to restart on boot?)

or

2. fix whatever is is causing setup to fail so that it completes (mentions a bunch of DLL failures, inability to install catalogs, etc., invalid Win XP x64 upgrade(?), blah blah)

Or is it just quicker (if possible) to reboot from the CD, reformat the C: partition, and reinstall the whole OS?

TIA

mrzoon

"Or is it just quicker (if possible) to reboot from the CD, reformat the C: partition, and reinstall the whole OS?"

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back