Xubuntu And 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

First off, I read the guide for "Red Hat & XP", but my setup will be 98se and XUBUNTU, and I got confused a bit.

I will be starting off with a blank 15gb hd, and I plan to partition 500mb to windows in the LINUX partitioning tool.

After partitioning, what are the "basic" steps?

My guess would be that after the partition, install Windows, then XUBUNTU. But then I am lost, something to do with a boot file in Windows? Or would Linux do the NT4.0 installation thing and do the automatic boot file thing?

And pointers would be nice,

thanks!

--Daniel L

I just started playing with linux, but can't you boot it off the CD

from my understanding you install windows first, then umbuntu and it will see your windows install and should pick up all the drivers automatically.

when I did it I think I typed SCAN at the first screen

There should be no need to prep the drive. You must install Windows first. It will overwrite anything on the drive anyway. Then you can set the partition with the Linux. Do any formatting in a file system that both of the OSs can read. Win 98, is that FAT16 or FAT32?

98 can deal with FAT32, I don't even think you have a choice it formats as that during the install.

You don't have to install windows first (or at all in fact) but it is the easiest option as it prevents windows from overwriting the bootsector and thus removing the bootloader when it installs.

The best method is to partition your drive leaving enough for Win98 and maybe another FAT32 partition for your programs and the rest as simple free space. Then install Win98 and get that up and running first.

The next step is to boot from the livecd and install Xubuntu to the "free space" on you hard disk. Xubuntu will install a bootloader which will allow you to boot into windows as well as Xubuntu itself.

Also Xubuntu does not "pick up" it's drivers (or anything else) from your windows install. It will install it's own drivers for your hardware.

I think 98 has to be installed first. I thought unlike 2000 or XP or Vista it has to be on the first partition, but I could be wrong.

Thanks guys for all your help! Everything worked ok, 98se installed, and the Linux partitioner had picked up the Windows section and was going to work around it, but it dawned on me why I was even installing Linux, Windows is Crap. I had let the computer for an hour, got back and it was lost beyond repair. SO... Anyway, that above did work, but before I clicked the final "next ->" to install XUBUNTU, I quickly flipped back and got rid of Windows.

LINUX RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back