Yahoo is locking some users out of Mail for using ad blockers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Have you recently encountered a roadblock trying to access Yahoo Mail (and happen to run an ad blocking program)? If so, you’re not alone as some users have reportedly been locked out of their Yahoo e-mail accounts for using an ad blocker.

Digiday was the first to report on the matter, linking to a thread in the Adblock Plus forums in which a Yahoo Mail user post a screenshot showing they were locked out of their account. The dialog box suggests the user disable their ad blocker in order to keep using Yahoo’s e-mail service.

Yahoo has since reached out to multiple publications, confirming the matter. The spokesperson said Yahoo is continually developing and testing new product experiences and that this (the ad blocker ban) is a test they’re running with a small number of Mail users in the US.

As the publication correctly points out, it’s becoming increasingly more common for websites to prevent access to content to those using ad blockers. This past September, for example, BuzzFeed found that The Washington Post was conducting various ad block-related tests. A spokesperson for the paper said they were testing a few different approaches to see what moves readers to either enable ads or subscribe (both of which provide income to help keep the paper alive, pay employees and so on).

Have you experienced any trouble logging into Yahoo Mail with an ad blocker installed? Feel free to share your experience in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

I haven't. Then again I stopped using Adblock Plus and started using the fork uBlock Origin which seems far more advanced, aside from including other filters directed at anti-blocking mechanisms.

I like how companies try to force what they want on people. Blocking someone from using your service because they don't like the ads is one of the best ways to encourage them to not use anything your company produces. I think in the next decade or so, there's going to be radical changes in how ads are delivered to people as well as large differences in how websites earn their money. Like for example Techspot has it's own store to compensate for the fact that most people who use this website have adblocker enabled. And sites such as Mint.com hand-pick from a small selection of ads to show on their platform which are baked into the app. The ads are helpful so they're seen more as advice rather than an intrusive addon.

I'm a yahoo fantasy sports player, and the ads that they have there are incredible. I've used adblock plus for several years with the element hiding helper to block their ads. So far, they have not locked me out of my account, but if they do, I'll just stop using yahoo. There are almost certainly better things that I could do with my time, but I do enjoy hockey.

I haven't. Then again I stopped using Adblock Plus and started using the fork uBlock Origin which seems far more advanced, aside from including other filters directed at anti-blocking mechanisms.
I will have to check this out.

Is this the reason why I can't send (but can receive) yahoo emails thru Mozilla thunderbird with adblock?

I don't have any Yahoo accounts but if I did and they wouldn't let me access content, especially my own mail for using AdBlock I'd simply close my accounts in a heartbeat and move elsewhere. I'm not gonna get dictated to by some crummy company. (No matter how sexy the CEO is) ;)

Last edited:
My accts were not locked out and hopefully I will not experience it. I really want to get out of Yahoo, how should I transfer my emails to different provider? There are thousands.

I absolutely LOATHE Yahoo and everything they do!! They own Flickr, which I use frequently, and last year they forced everyone to start using their Yahoo e-mail to access the service. Like most people I was using my normal e-mail (in my case GMail) and I waited too long to link a Yahoo e-mail address to my Flickr account and was locked out of Flickr permanently. I e-mailed them multiple times and they refused to lift the lock so that I could link my newly created Yahoo e-mail. Their solution? Create a brand new Flickr account and re-upload all my photos! Absolutely un-fckin-believable! I hope Yahoo goes bankrupt and rots in hell!!

When will these companies understand that people DO NOT want to see ads?! I don't want o see ads on my TV, on my phone, or my computer. PERIOD. If your business relies on ads to stay alive then you need to find another business model. I could care less if these stupid ads keep the company "alive" or help pay their employees. NO ONE WANTS TO SEE ADS. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS!!!

Got to side with Yahoo here.

I think its only natural for sites and services to start doing this. If you're not willing to help pay for the editors creating the content, the servers running the site, etc. then you shouldn't have access to it.
The "entitled" free everything generation needs to go.

I'm down with it as well. I don't care one way or the other what Yahoo does. And if any other site does this, I will feel the same way about them.

I did try to log into something else entirely... but it did use Yahoo account for this... so I tried to create yahoo account... and this was impossible for me (now in retrospect, might have been due to ad-block). So I kind of gave up.

So you want to pay a subscription fee for every web site you visit? Like $5/month/site? Or how do you think websites should cover the costs of creating content and providing services to you and to millions of other users?

I like how companies try to force what they want on people.
You got it all backwards. It's the ad blockers who want to force their will on other people. They want to take the content and services, and not provide anything in return. Even if it would just be letting the ads show on their screen.

Blocking someone from using your service because they don't like the ads is one of the best ways to encourage them to not use anything your company produces.
So what? They don't care. Users who don't allow ads to show or don't pay a subscription fee are just net loss to them or anybody servicing them. Or do you really think shops would want to compete each other for thieves?

I think in the next decade or so, there's going to be radical changes in how ads are delivered to people as well as large differences in how websites earn their money.
Indeed. The 3 options are:
1. Ads will become unblockable
2. Ad financed sites and services will just switch to subscription model.
3. Ad financed sites and services will go out of business. The internet will be again what it was in the 70s. And it all will be paid for by your tax dollars.

Like for example Techspot has it's own store to compensate for the fact that most people who use this website have adblocker enabled.
You realize a shop is nothing else, but a huge advertisement, and that the shop itself is also advertisted thought advertisements even if it's the site's own, don't you? Also, it hardly "compensates" for ad blocking. It's just a different revenue source.

"And sites such as Mint.com hand-pick from a small selection of ads to show on their platform which are baked into the app.
So, still ads. Just as I said.

Ads are a plague that serve no purpose. People find what they want regardless of whether they see an ad. True sales comes from word of mouth not some real estate hog. Ads are as deceptive as kickstarter (aka: crowfunding), which says nothing for quality of service or merchandise. Ads are scams (borderline malware), they don't sale.

And when sites like Yahoo force the use of ads, they become the biggest scam of all.

Ads are a plague that serve no purpose. People find what they want regardless of whether they see an ad. True sales comes from word of mouth not some real estate hog. Ads are as deceptive as kickstarter (aka: crowfunding), which says nothing for quality of service or merchandise. Ads are scams (borderline malware), they don't sale.

And when sites like Yahoo force the use of ads, they become the biggest scam of all.
Some ads are malware, that has happened many times now.

Back