Yahoo is the most visited web destination for the sixth month in a row

Shawn Knight

Staff member

yahoo google facebook twitter web web traffic web destination

Last summer, Yahoo managed to generate more web traffic than Google for the first time in two years. Many likely thought it was a fluke but as it turns out, that’s not the case at all. According to comScore, Yahoo has finished ahead of Google for the past six months straight.

The latest monthly rankings reveal Yahoo finished the year just as strong as ever with 195.1 million unique visitors during the month of December while Google finished in second place with a respectable 192.3 million uniques. Microsoft, Facebook and AOL round out the top five web destinations with 175.2 million, 140.7 million and 120 million unique visitors, respectively.

As was the case back in July, the numbers are a bit skewed as Yahoo’s figures don’t include traffic from Tumblr. That platform finished the month in 30th place with 34.4 million unique visitors, down from around 38 million during the summer month.

It’s worth pointing out, however, that comScore’s statistics only represent traffic data from desktop PCs. Mobile traffic wasn’t included in the report, we’re told, which leaves out a huge user base of younger web users. Even still, it’s all a bit impressive when you consider some of the issues the company faced late last year including a Mail mishap and issues with photo sharing site Flickr.

We will certainly keep an eye on comScore’s monthly traffic rankings to see if Yahoo’s good fortunes continue as we delve deeper into 2014.

Permalink to story.

And to think, I haven't been to anything Yahoo in over 5 years, this changes nothing. I also don't think I know anyone who uses Yahoo either, not that I have anything against Yahoo. They just don't offer any services I want to use.

And the reason for this is because the yahoo toolbar has been bundled with Java updates. This forces less savvy users (which tend to still have desktops running windows xp) to search with yahoo instead of whoever was defaulted before (likely bing or google) increasing their traffic greatly.

Hahah... good one.. maybe the chinese also have something to do with it
or maybe aliens from outer space are using it...
or...
may they are cheating...

Yahoo may install a tool bar some browsers but google is the default search option in firefox and chrome, I think that more than balances it out

Their trashy opinionated articles based on popularity with the goal of getting the most clicks are well-designed and thought out, I go there when I need shady, shallow entertainment and articles with little to no truth.

I haven't been back since they shut down the chat rooms... They were the only place you could speak your mind and not have some power hungry room monitor mute you. The bots sucked, but they could have fixed that.

It was one of the few places of ' Freedom of speech'.

And the reason for this is because the yahoo toolbar has been bundled with Java updates. This forces less savvy users (which tend to still have desktops running windows xp) to search with yahoo instead of whoever was defaulted before (likely bing or google) increasing their traffic greatly.
When like ten years ago? The only thing I see trying to get bundled in freeware is Google Chrome.

Err.... Google Chrome Bar is bundled with the most popular free Antivirus software, and is the default site of Android devices.

Yahoo provides excellent services - finance, news, vendor services like automobile quotes, etc. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't, and there is absolutely no need to wish for Yahoo's death, even if you were an Google fan. More choices is good for all of us.

Their trashy opinionated articles based on popularity with the goal of getting the most clicks are well-designed and thought out, I go there when I need shady, shallow entertainment and articles with little to no truth.

LOL, this is true. I sometimes go to the articles, skip the content, and only read the comments bashing yahoo on how stupid and misguided their journalists are. Its great.

I post something like this before but it seems people always forget about it.

Yahoo! is still extremely popular in Asia. It's the Google of Asia in a sense.

Back