Yahoo Messenger startup error: "YPager.exe has generated errors..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,
I'm new to messaging and can't get Yahoo Messenger (both YPager.exe and YMsgr.. the tray icon I guess) to execute with the Program Error (Yellow exclamation mark sign) message: (run as Administrator)
- Note: I don't know how to view the log.
- I have uninstalled Messenger and reinstalled it 3 times with the same result.
- Yahoo help is skimpy at best with this problem... at least I couldn't find a solution.

Environment:
- Windows 2000 Pro / SP4 running behind a NAT'd router
- MS-IE 6 fully patched
- AVG retail anti-virus (updated daily, run today)
- PopThis!
- Ad-aware SE Plus (updated daily, run today)
- Tiny Personal Firewall (Yahoo not restricted)

Security: (I allowed these to run during the Yahoo Messenger installation)
- IE/tools/Internet Options/Security/Custom Level settings
-- Scripts must be prompted
-- Active-X controls and plug-ins are prompted
-- Java Permissions are set to high safety

Recently run online virus/spyware hunters:
- BitDefender
- CA virusscan
- TrendMicro-Housecall

Recently run OS tools:
- HiJackThis 1.99 (latest)
- Silent Runners (latest)

Standard procedures:
1. %temp% dumped more than daily
2. C:\<username>\Documents and Settings\Temporary Internet Files dumped more than daily
3. C:\<username>\Documents and Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*. (directories, not files) dumped at the same time as #2

Don't know where to go next! Thanks

I'm having the exact same problem, and my computer information is mostly the same as yours...

But it isn't just the Yahoo messenger that I've had trouble with; the exact same thing has been happening when I try to install Adobe Photoshop 7 :(

Edit: I've found something you can try. I just read that the newest version of Yahoo Messenger for some reason doesn't always work well with windows editions before XP, but that the old ones will work fine.

Yahoo messenger

Hi,
I have encountered the same problem with Yahoo messenger and thus I am unable to connect to the messenger. When I try to Log in it says "Ypager.exe have encountered some problem so you must restart the program. An error log will be created" and the messeneger automatically closes. Please suggest some solutions.

Gopakumar

YPager error message

Well I've tried to get Yahoo Tech Support to own-up to the problem. But the tech answered my post with questions that I had answered already in the original post (which I had copied from this forum) and asked for a Dr. Watson log, which I have sent.

That was days ago so I'll try again tomorrow morning and relay the final solution when it happens. I hope it's more elegant than to install an earlier Messenger version. But just to try it, where can I get one?

Thanks for the reply fellow technophiles.

I too have the same problem

Hi,
I too have the same problem, and looking for a solution... My OS is windows 2000 , yahoo messenger was working fine.. but from last 5 days I am unable to start the messenger.. pls help me..

thanks in advance...
Sudheer

You don't say what version of YM you're using. I say simple re-install. I've found some versions a little flakey and the newer ones bloaty. I've found 5.6.0.1344 to be pretty stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back