Yahoo refusing connection

macx

Never seen this before, but when I open Firefox with Yahoo as home page I get
"Connection Refused"

Other bookmarks / sites come up fine, and my wife's computer on the same
modem and same router has no problem.

While on another site, I clicked "home" and it opened Yahoo, altho slowly.
But then while on Yahoo I tried to open a news article and again got the
Connection Refused, and the same when trying to Sign In, i.e. for email.

Any ideas on what the problem may be and how to fix?

Thanks!

Don't know why, but a few things to try

Does the same problem happen when you use IE?

Try updating FF? (Help->Check for Updates)

You can also try running FF in Safe Mode Start->Programs->Mozilla FF->FF (safe mode)

Well, a couple hours later and all seems OK.

Was just puzzled, hadn't ever seen that before.

One possibility - I did an Avira complete scan after that happened and it found 5 malware that
it deleted. Then I opened FF and Yahoo came right up. Just maybe it was sensing something
wrong and protecting itself?

I don't use IE and after all I've heard / read about the latest FF, I'm avoiding that, too.

Thanks for the tip, though, about Safe Mode, hadn't thought of that - had something else
to do so didn't dig or try anything.

Well, a couple hours later and all seems OK.
Glad to hear it seems better :grinthumb
I don't use IE
When having FF browser problem, can be helpful to check if a problem is specific to FF or happens with both browsers
Thanks for the tip, though, about Safe Mode, hadn't thought of that
Checking FF Safe Mode runs FF without any FF addons enabled so can also help rule out addons as source of the error

In any case, glad to hear things are running better now :)

What are you calling " the latest Firefox"? You are going to run out of browsers very soon, if you don't lighten up a tad.

IE really hasn't recovered fully after the fiasco that was IE6. The new versions are much more secure, although I personally don't use them either..

"Chome" is just asking Google to stuff their corporate nose up your a**.

If you see my point, you can run out of options rather quickly.

I hope this helps .... I had the same problem and discovered that Firefox browser was actually "in the process" of updating. Once the update was complete and I restarted Firefox, I had no problem whatsoever.

It has been my experience that when FF updates, I lose functionality on several of my important security add-ons, happens every time.

So I just wait awhile until they've got it sorted out, or the add-ons get updated, to allow everything to work.

Back