TechSpot

Yahoo shuts down several more underperforming services

By Shawn Knight
Jul 3, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Yahoo went on a tear last spring, closing down more than a dozen underperforming services as part of a broader streamlining effort to focus on core products. Over the past year, the Internet pioneer has continued to evaluate some of...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,921   +565

They should know better how to diversify, move away from the viral crap and into creating something.

3. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 409   +91

Did they shut down Yahoo!?

4. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,921   +565

It's an under-performing service, alright, but we shall see the blue fairy fly off first. She is still kicking.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

As long as I can remember, yahoo is already there, 'powering' the internet. (1996?)
    I can't remember though if the ads of today (in internet searches) are as bad or worse than before.

google's rise as an internet search engine to its position today as hardware and software company is a prime example of evolution. those who fail to adapt will wither and die.

yahoo re-inventing itself? why not.
    maybe it should even jump into the windows phone/tablet bandwagon to counter the influence of the gigantic google android ecosystem.

and lol, when email providers cut cost and limit email folder size to 1mb total, I used briefcase.yahoo.com, the 'cloud service' of its era to expand my 'internet folder'. (if I'm not mistaken, yahoo briefcase closed down four years ago.)

H3llion likes this.
  6. I only need one thing for yahoo to shut down. the add servers and spam. Did I say add servers? Because I want the add servers gone.

SantistaUSA likes this.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

LOL, That image does portray her as a fairy dressed in a blue dress and gold shoes. I do question where she left her magic wand though.

captaincranky likes this.
  8. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

yup, you said 'add servers' twice. and add =/= ad (ads aka advertisement) :)

most free internet services today, if not all, have some sort of ads system that helps it defray the cost of maintaining the service. (I don't know how little or how significant the amount is.)

the free apps I got from google play store for my phones have ads in them. (I wasn't able to grab the ad-block for android before it was taken down.)

almost all tech forums/websites/email services that I'm aware of also have ads in them with options to eliminate the ads if a user avails of paid subscription.

9. OliTheG

OliTheG TS Member Posts: 61   +25

Damn you! Beat me to the punch :)

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,811   +920

Probably in that void, "whose name may not be spoken here", of which she doesn't have the time or inclination to fill with a boy blue faery....;)

@cliffordcooley, Nice setup for that one, Cliff....!(y)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.