Yahoo to announce the hire of Katie Couric as 'Global News Anchor' on Monday

Shawn Knight

Staff member

katie couric deal yahoo global anchor set announced katie couric global news anchor

Yahoo is expected to announce on Monday that well-known television news anchor Katie Couric will assume the role of “global news anchor” for the Internet pioneer. Specifically, Couric will host a high-profile interview show on Yahoo’s homepage according to multiple sources as reported by All Things D.

Such a deal has been months in the making as the publication first reported the two were in negotiations back in August. Disney-owned ABC apparently holds the rights to Couric’s digital output through the course of her current contract. We are told that Couric’s title could change, as could the deal or the timing. Furthermore, we don’t know exactly when the interview show will debut.

Sources say the show will consist of exclusive interviews with a plethora of high-profile celebrities as well as business executives. Some are reporting that she might leave her current correspondent job with ABC to work with Yahoo. Couric reportedly became interested in the idea of a web-only show after attending a Yahoo advertising event in the Caribbean last fall.

It’s a risky gamble by Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer as she continues to try and give Internet users a solid reason to visit the company’s homepage. Couric would be a big haul for Yahoo as she would almost certainly attract plenty of traffic in addition to being a big sell for advertisers.

It’s all part of a larger effort to differentiate Yahoo from the host of other top tier search engines like Google and Bing. Whether it all pays off in the end, however, remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

This is the kind of content-first approach that I and a handful of others were pushing for Yahoo to embrace nearly ten years ago. They've dabbled in it continually but never jumped in with both feet. I expect that within ten years the web is going to become the primary delivery medium for all TV. The majority probably isn't going to be on-demand streaming, however. Cable broadcasting will become fully integrated into the internet: there will still be "channels" but they'll be part of the web framework rather than working alongside it. We're almost there now - the TVs are all connected and web-capable. Most major networks stream through multiple partners. The new consoles are upgradable with full cable support and computers will soon include it as as standard feature (its just a matter of cheaper chips now - the HDMI is already ubiquitous). The threats to this new all-encompassing media convergence will be same as always: the desire of all parties up and down the pipe to exercise as much control as possible in order to claim the lion's share of the revenues.

Gee, another push for the State-controlled media to continue their harangue of Progressive poison speech and demagoguery upon as many information consumers as possible. Although they've always been in line with their peers when it comes to drive-by journalism, I wonder how much more traffic (and therefore revenue) Yahoo! is expecting to gain from this deal.

I grow tired of seeing the expanded influence of the same talking heads in the mainstream media which only iterate the official statement as if it were the word of God. Alas, that is the way the system works, so it will remain up to us, the People, to continue amongst ourselves to question the official story repeated ad nauseam by these tired old media dinosaurs.

WithoutAnyMilk The first mistake is going turning these people for information in the first place.

cliffordcooley It's interesting how that's worked out over the past ten years. I dare say being a customer service rep at Google carries more prestige than most positions at Yahoo.

Yahoo likes to waste money. So many other choices to put in there why not use SNL News crew. We all need a good laugh now and then!

Hmmm, Marissa Meyer sure knows who to pick... not surprised with this one.

Gee, another push for the State-controlled media to continue their harangue of Progressive poison speech and demagoguery upon as many information consumers as possible. Although they've always been in line with their peers when it comes to drive-by journalism, I wonder how much more traffic (and therefore revenue) Yahoo! is expecting to gain from this deal.

I grow tired of seeing the expanded influence of the same talking heads in the mainstream media which only iterate the official statement as if it were the word of God. Alas, that is the way the system works, so it will remain up to us, the People, to continue amongst ourselves to question the official story repeated ad nauseam by these tired old media dinosaurs.
You know what, speaking of talking heads, you could just change the channel, instead of publishing a "uni-bomber-esque rant".

As a public figure, Katie Couric isn't worth all this fuss, by any stretch of even the most vivid imagination. (That most vivid imagination probably belongs to Ms. Couric herself).

She hasn't really been good at anything she's been massively overpaid to do. I believe you could likely hear channels changing all over the US when she was doing the CBS Evening News. (Everyone is aware that her contract wasn't renewed, aren't they)?

IMHO, she has very little actual talent, and all the stage presence of an awkward 15 year old fat girl with braces. And again, IMHO, I expect she worked her way to the top by being on the bottom, so to speak.

So, Yahoo now has a female CEO, and I expect this is an action that will be massively be publicized, (by her), to show how much she is doing about, "the glass ceiling".

For me Couric is simply unbearable, and unwatchable. I doubt that her acquisition by Yahoo will do anything to enhance its position in the industry, it will probably detract from it. At least if the audience has any sense, but that's really up in the air, now isn't it?

I've never heard of her but if that's her pic, she sure is easy on the eye.
Yeah right, maybe 25 years ago....or have your eyes checked.

Although, she has the nicest looking inside of a colon of any pubic figure I can think off.

Oh mercy me, I think I've gone and spelled "public" wrong....:D

Back