TechSpot

Yahoo trumps Google in web traffic for first time in two years

By Shawn Knight
Aug 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Yahoo generated more web traffic than Google last month, the first time that’s happened in more than two years. Marissa Mayer and company pulled in 196.6 million unique visitors during the month of July compared to just 192.3 million for...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,345   +806

That's great. Now I wonder if she'd like to celebrate over a couple of bottles of champagne (out of her purse of course) with me...
    P.S. I hope my lovely wife of 25 years doesn't read this post. :)

St1ckM4n, JC713, LNCPapa and 2 others like this.
  3. stansfield

stansfield TS Rookie Posts: 45   +7

I used to use Google for searches but during the last few weeks it has become so painfully slow in re-directing to links that I gave up and used Yahoo which acts normally instead. Could this have happened to others?

4. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 428   +96

Google still works for me, no reason to change to Yahoo.

5. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

You do realise that Yahoo's search results are powered by Bing?

6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

I'd guess that it will be a slaughter when mobile is factored in, Google has a massive amount of traffic in that arena. Still, it's so weird that even with YouTube and Chrome's default use of Google for search, Yahoo came out on top. I honestly can't think of a single time in the last several years I've gone to a Yahoo site, but I can imagine that Flickr (which I don't use) was one of the biggest factors.

7. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,710   +62

I only browse the news on yahoo, check my 2ndary email occasionally and use yahoo answers. I search on google 99% of the time.

8. It's football season. Everyone must be doing their fantasy picks. CBS and Yahoo traffic go through the roof. =)

9. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 638   +127

I think she'd understand

10. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,062   +919

I still prefer Google.

11. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +18

Yahoo has a lot of sports sites as well. Overall good news site (though I normally use MSN since that's where my wife's email defaults to when she logs out) too.

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,980   +957

I thought that awhile back, Google claimed that Bing was copying their results. No?:confused:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.