Yay, a problem yet again

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabenfox

wow look another problem, amazing eh. Here's the deal. I just got my new p4 2.6 gig processor with the 512 megs of ram in the mail today. So i put everything in my case all nicely and put my g4 in the computer.
When i bought the G4 the fan on it burned a little over a year later (after warranty). So i went and bought a new fan from the store. The fan that i bought was a

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3450718232&category=42003

Now i don't have the stuff anymore that came with the fan because i boutht it quite a while ago. On my old motherboard i plugged the fans power supply onto a slot on my motherboard that said SYS FAN, and it worked fine. Well on my new p4 motherboard the SYS FAN connector is on the coplete opposite end of the motherboard nowhere near my video card. So now i was wondering if there was any way to get power to it. There is a slot on my vid card, however it is only a 2 prong connector and the vid card needs three

I figured my best bet was to go to the store again and spend another 25 bucks to see if the fan came with any special adapters... but really didn't want to do this because i've already spent around $360 dollars. So if you guys have any better advice i'd really like to hear it

Measure the voltage coming out of the 2 prong thing. If it matches the voltage you need for your fan then just rearrange the fan plug (or maybe use the good old knife-and-tape technique) so you can stick it to the 2 pin socket. You should check some docs on how much power that connector on your vid card can supply so you don't fry anything.

You can always take power from one or the standard plugs used to power HDs.

i can't take standard power for stuff like hd's, the only connector that the vid card has on it for that type of connection is to power the led light on the fan

go to a computer store and get an adapter that will allow you to connect the fan to a 4 pin molex connector. it should only cost a few bucks.

ok well i went to some website like jabtech.com or something like that where they had 3 to 4 pin converters but i also found an extender (neon green :cool: ) so i decided to get that instead. I didn't even know they sold extenders. Thanks for the help guys !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back