Yellow triangle and exclamation mark in Safe mode

Nan Jan

Hello,

This is my first post here so hope it is in the correct section. I have been googling for answers for days now with no success.

Please can anyone explain why when I boot my HP laptop in safe mode and go to device manager - when I expand Monitors there is the yellow triangle and exclamation mark on Generic PnP Monitor. What puzzles me is that in standard mode the triangle is not showing. I thought I simply may need to update the driver but have tried that repeatedly and am told I have the latest one. Is there anyway of me checking further what the problem could me? Is the yellow triangle logged somewhere?

I do not know if this could be relevant but the date against the driver is the same date that the anniversary update for Windows 10 was installed.

Thank you

Are you having any issues with your monitor in standard mode?
Thank you for getting back to me. Normally my husband turns the laptop on in a morning but this morning I did it and noticed that a couple of seconds after turning on (and immediately before the lock screen) there was a quick flash on the screen and I noticed a row of vertical white lines across the bottom third? of the screen. Probably about 10 lines in total. The flash was over in an instant and I was then able to sign in as normal.

Interested to hear what your further thoughts are? I am now fearing the worst.

Do you know if your laptop has a graphics card installed? Also, if you can give us your laptop's model number. How old is this laptop? Are the vents clean so that air flows smoothly?

Model is HP Envy 17 Notebook PC. HP j053EA I presume you do not want the serial number. The Asset tag is 5CG419DZLK - could this be the information you need? It was bought in June 2014. The vents are clear and I have the laptop raised up at the back to give extra air circulation. It always seems quite cool.

There are 2 graphics cards: Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600 (Display Adapter) as well as NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (Display Adapter).

The reason I asked if you had a graphics card was due to you reporting vertical lines which could be a sign of a failing video card. Also, the reason I asked about clean vents is because heat can cause these type of issues as well. In fact high heat will cause a system to shut down which is the way a system protects itself from becoming too hot and thus causing irreparable damage.

If the graphics card does fail you may want to replace it but with your Intel HD Graphics 4600 (it is designed right into your cpu) you probably don't have to unless you play games, etc.

Could I ask is it usual to have 2 graphics cards? One more question - why does the yellow triangle only appear in Safe mode? It was pure chance I found it as I had been experiencing very slow boot up problems and also browser disconnections but no loss of internet so thought there may be some conflict somewhere. If I understand you correctly I can leave well alone for now. I do not play games at all.

Grateful for your thoughts.

A few years ago both AMD and Intel began designing their cpus (central processing unit = the "brain" of your computer) with graphics built in. I built my mother a brand new system with one of the AMD cpus about three years ago and she doesn't need a graphics card to surf the web, watch videos, etc. Now my son's laptop has both the built in video component on his cpu and a graphics card like yours. When he games the graphics card is used.

For clarification: Are you using a monitor connected to your laptop? Or is it the laptop screen itself having issues?

A few years ago both AMD and Intel began designing their cpus (central processing unit = the "brain" of your computer) with graphics built in. I built my mother a brand new system with one of the AMD cpus about three years ago and she doesn't need a graphics card to surf the web, watch videos, etc. Now my son's laptop has both the built in video component on his cpu and a graphics card like yours. When he games the graphics card is used.

For clarification: Are you using a monitor connected to your laptop? Or is it the laptop screen itself having issues?

It is the laptop screen.

Then the best guess at this time is either a video driver update, a video card failure, or possibly a Windows update conflict.

Then the best guess at this time is either a video driver update, a video card failure, or possibly a Windows update conflict.
Cheers. At the back of my mind I veer towards a Windows update conflict. Sadly there is another update due and no way of avoiding it. I will keep an eye on things and as I took out an extra 4 years warranty taking me to 1919 I may consider using that to have it checked out.

Thanks again.

Back