TechSpot

Yet Another eMachine Problem & Question

By Bill Lumbergh
Oct 7, 2007
  1. I was given a broken eMachine C2480. Won't boot up at all, not even a start up chime or anything on the screen.

After doing a little research here and elsewhere, it is most likely a failed PS which I did swap out with a known working similar one. Didn't work, still the same. Fans powered up however. So, looks to me that the PS blew up the MB. Looks like it is a typical eMachine failure.

Any cheap replacement MBs or is she a goner and a parts box?

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,984   +168

Ah Bill Lumbergh,
    All problem eMachines need their power supplies and motherboards replaced at the same time. The eMachines support site doesn't list your computers specs. I guess this doesn't really matter though.

We try to get a motherboard that uses the same processor and memory, so we can use the old stuff, but I have an eMachines T3958 here that was bought new 2 years (2005) ago. The motherboard was 3 years old (Bios 2002) when the computer was first sold. In other words, it was obsolete when it was built...

My standard eMachines upgrade (for reference):

Any better 350 watt power supply

MSI PM8M3V-H motherboard

1GB DDR PC2100 or better memory (2- 512MB sticks)

Intel Celeron D Cedar Mill 3.2GHz CPU

Not counting the XP operating system CD, you can do this for under $200

3. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, just as I thought, it's now a parts box.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did read the emachine sticky. I contacted TigerDirect and they don't carry motherboards that old.

It will make a great parts box for other computers I'm putting together.

Take care,
    BL

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.