TechSpot

Yet Another eMachine Problem & Question

By Bill Lumbergh
Oct 7, 2007
  1. I was given a broken eMachine C2480. Won't boot up at all, not even a start up chime or anything on the screen.

After doing a little research here and elsewhere, it is most likely a failed PS which I did swap out with a known working similar one. Didn't work, still the same. Fans powered up however. So, looks to me that the PS blew up the MB. Looks like it is a typical eMachine failure.

Any cheap replacement MBs or is she a goner and a parts box?

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,213   +230

Ah Bill Lumbergh,
    All problem eMachines need their power supplies and motherboards replaced at the same time. The eMachines support site doesn't list your computers specs. I guess this doesn't really matter though.

We try to get a motherboard that uses the same processor and memory, so we can use the old stuff, but I have an eMachines T3958 here that was bought new 2 years (2005) ago. The motherboard was 3 years old (Bios 2002) when the computer was first sold. In other words, it was obsolete when it was built...

My standard eMachines upgrade (for reference):

Any better 350 watt power supply

MSI PM8M3V-H motherboard

1GB DDR PC2100 or better memory (2- 512MB sticks)

Intel Celeron D Cedar Mill 3.2GHz CPU

Not counting the XP operating system CD, you can do this for under $200

3. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, just as I thought, it's now a parts box.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did read the emachine sticky. I contacted TigerDirect and they don't carry motherboards that old.

It will make a great parts box for other computers I'm putting together.

Take care,
    BL

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.