You can now earn 1TB of free Drive storage by contributing to Google Maps

midian182

Staff member

Google has updated its Local Guides program for Google Maps by offering new rewards, including 1TB of free space on Google Drive, to users who leave reviews, add photos, answer questions and update other information.

Local Guides is “a global community that helps you explore the world while earning perks,” according to Google. In order to compete against the likes of Yelp and Foursquare, the program uses a leveling system that awards points to active users, with each level bringing a new reward.

“You can earn points and level up by writing reviews, uploading photos, adding new places, fixing outdated information, and answering simple questions.”

The first level, which requires between 0 and 4 points, lets users participate in exclusive contests to win various Google devices and services. They can also join Google-hosted workshops and hangouts.

Level two (5 to 49 points) gives users access to new Google products and features, while level three (50 to 199 points) assigns a Local Guides badge to a person - indicating that they are a trusted guide. Users who reach this third level will also receive invites to Google-hosted events in select cities.

The top two tiers contain the most appealing awards, naturally. Anyone who amasses 200 to 499 points will move to level four and get the 1TB of free Google Drive space, which normally costs $9.99 a month. While those who manages to collect over 500 points and reach level five will be invited to attend the inaugural Local Guides summit in 2016, where they can "meet other top Guides from around the world, explore the Google campus, and get the latest info about Google Maps." Users who hit this level will also get early access to new Google products and features.

With each new piece of uploaded information counting as one point (limited to five points per place), climbing to the higher levels may take some time. But unlike similar promotions from other companies, Google’s top tier rewards - especially that 1TB of cloud space - are pretty impressive.

Permalink to story.

Sounds pretty damn cool. I wonder if I get credit for the things I uploaded/correct/answered several years ago.

Basically, a pretty clever way to get users to do their work for them.... instead of paying someone a salary to do this, just get us to do it and you only have to pay with 1tb of storage...

Much agreed. I'd probably do it as well if I actually used Google Drive, instead I use OneDrive because of OneDrive for business and the fact that there seems to be more privacy issues with Google Drive than OneDrive. It's a no go for me!

Basically, a pretty clever way to get users to do their work for them.... instead of paying someone a salary to do this, just get us to do it and you only have to pay with 1tb of storage...

Much agreed. I'd probably do it as well if I actually used Google Drive, instead I use OneDrive because of OneDrive for business and the fact that there seems to be more privacy issues with Google Drive than OneDrive. It's a no go for me!

You use cloud service and expect privacy? Talk about irony.

You use cloud service and expect privacy? Talk about irony.

To change the context, its like you're buying a house. You have two that you like but one is near a 'unsafe' area, most people would chose the other house. Yet both houses have the same security features and the likelihood of being burgled is probably the same. There is not much in it but that's where he made his choice.

Oh good! now I only have shield my privacy or person from every low rent ***** looking to score some free google space.

guessing the movement to block all things google is panning out, they're looking to subvert freedom of expression and movement to sell more of their advertising and tracking. now they can say "it wasn't me! they did it!"

Back