You can now purchase a physical emoji keyboard

Scorpus

Staff member

If you're addicted to using emoji, there's a range of new products from EmojiWorks that are sure to improve your quality of life. The company, a start-up from Austin, has developed a set of physical keyboards that allow you to input emojis into any text field without the use of separate software or windows.

The keyboard hardware that EmojiWorks use is nothing special. All three of their products are designed to look like Apple's Magic Keyboard, featuring short-travel chiclet keys with rubber dome switches. For those using a full-sized desktop keyboard, especially if it's mechanical, grabbing the emoji keyboard probably won't improve your general typing experience.

But where it will improve is the easy of using emojis, as the Emoji Keyboard includes up to three emoji per key that are activated by holding down the emoji button, which replaces the left option/alt button on the Magic Keyboard design. A collection of the most popular emoji are included on the keyboard, including crucial emoji like the middle finger, taco, and poo.

The Emoji Keyboard is available in three variants: a basic keyboard with 47 emoji (one per key), which will cost $79.95; a Plus variant for $89.95 with 94 emoji (two per key); and a Pro version with 120 emoji (up to three per key) for $99.95. The Pro and Plus versions also include buttons that allow you to modify the skin tone of any person-related emoji.

All of the keyboards are available to pre-order now with an unspecified shipping date. They work across Mac OS X El Capitan, iOS 9, and Windows 10 via Bluetooth, and even come with included AAA batteries.

Permalink to story.

I've got to give these folk kudos for dreaming up something like this. Who woulda thought anybody would want this? Apparently there must be somebody who would buy it otherwise why waste the time and effort?... Maybe it could prove to be more popular than I give it credit for.

Last edited:
Not something I'd be interested in, but I'm with Skidmarksdeluxe - this is a very clever idea and will probably be a large audience for it. I'm sure grade school kids would lose their minds over something like this.

That's an interesting keyboard. Certainly I have to give them credit for thinking outside of the box. I wonder if it works on Android devices?

What's wrong with people. Who in their right mind would buy this, other than as stated "grade school kids". If you ever see an adult with one of these please kindly take it and smash it against their head Ala Wanted. With any luck the middle finger key will stay lodged in their skull.

What's wrong with people. Who in their right mind would buy this, other than as stated "grade school kids". If you ever see an adult with one of these please kindly take it and smash it against their head Ala Wanted. With any luck the middle finger key will stay lodged in their skull.
When I first read about it, initially I thought it was a stupidly absurd as well (Cynical? Me? Never!) but the more I thought about it, the more I though it could actually be a bit of a success. Lots of people like gimmicky things and not just the snot nosed grade school goers either although I think that would be their most likely target market.

Well first, need I remind you that Fischer-Price pretty much cornered the market on pre-school toys and games here in the US, decades ago?
...[ ].... Lots of people like gimmicky things and not just the snot nosed grade school goers either although I think that would be their most likely target market.
And were you also aware, when you put your ear up to these people's ears, you can hear the ocean roar?

Or maybe it was PBS children's fare.
1280x720-eCS.jpg

Second from the left is Thomas the Train's, "Butt Hurt Emoji"

Last edited:
Well first, need I remind you that Fischer-Price pretty much cornered the market on pre-school toys and games here in the US, decades ago? And were you also aware, when you put your ear up to these people's ears, you can hear the ocean roar?

Or maybe it was PBS children's fare.
1280x720-eCS.jpg

Second from the left is Thomas the Train's, "Butt Hurt Emoji"
I don't remember that but I do remember putting a seashell up to my ear to hear the ocean roar. Kids do the same thing these days except they use a smartphone instead of a seashell.

We ran out of seashells.
Um, not exactly. Well, perhaps to a certain extent, But, as you know, today's phone are quite versatile. Which means, you can re-task the phone to a working camera you can sit on. (Sexting, as it were).

Even if a conch shell were to be equipped with the same type of picture taking ability, only the most adventurous teens would be willing to sit on one. Er......yikes...:eek:

Besides, I have it on good authority, the only place conchs are now extinct, is San Francisco Bay...;)

I almost thought you said "cone shell" Cranky. Of course, if it was a cone shell, you would want to make sure that its original occupant was not still living in the shell. Otherwise, one may need the really, really, really bad day emoji.

Since iOS 9+ has one of these built-in, I expect that EmojiWorks will be hearing from crApple lawyers very soon....

I almost thought you said "cone shell" Cranky. Of course, if it was a cone shell, you would want to make sure that its original occupant was not still living in the shell. Otherwise, one may need the really, really, really bad day emoji.
No silly. I was alluding to force fit, not toxic

Since iOS 9+ has one of these built-in, I expect that EmojiWorks will be hearing from crApple lawyers very soon....
It's pretty much a given that Apple will sue for anything.

Speaking of conchs, here's an instructional video:

Now that deserves an Emoji of some sort!;)

When I started at one particularly large company a few years back, I walked into a meeting where acronym speak was the norm. If anyone was not fluent in the acronyms, they were invariably lost.

Like other attempts at socializing the language over the years, my guess is that this will pass as a large number of users would have to adopt the language in order for it to become the norm. So far, no socialized version of the language has been adopted and has died out AFAIK. Think "valley girl" and others.

Wow wow its awesome,I didnt have any idea before that such keyboard can be available for use in PC. And the price is also seeming reasonable!

Thank you for the info anyway :)
You ask anybody around here. Helping people find their way is practically my mission in life.

To go back to "topic", I've campaigned for a simple :rolleyes: emoticon since our new software has been installed. After all, I don't want people thinking I'm being rude, when what I doing is merely being snide or sarcastic. Hey, my "good name" is at stake here.

Good ideas like "Emoji keyboards" are all too often preempted for silly things like the King's English. While I don't believe the world's population in general, should have their language skills dictated to them by ornaments more suitable for a crib mobile, to each his or her own.

Esperanto was a way better idea than this, and look where that went.:eek::D:'(*nerd*:p (*)

(*) I know those aren't Emojis, but I did the best I could to get my point across working with what I had.

Last edited:
You ask anybody around here. Helping people find their way is practically my mission in life.

To go back to "topic", I've campaigned for a simple :rolleyes: emoticon since our new software has been installed. After all, I don't want people thinking I'm being rude, when what I doing is merely being snide or sarcastic. Hey, my "good name" is at stake here.

Good ideas like "Emoji keyboards" are all too often preempted for silly things like the King's English. While I don't believe the world's population in general, should have their language skills dictated to them by ornaments more suitable for a crib mobile, to each his or her own.

Esperanto was a way better idea than this, and look where that went.:eek::D:'(*nerd*:p (*)

(*) I know those aren't Emojis, but I did the best I could to get my point across working with what I had.
I must say you have a great motive to help all and most importantly the forum is for helping each other. I didnt find your answer rude as well. Thank you anyway :)

Back