You can now send people money right from Gmail for Android

Jos

Staff

Although it’s a little known feature, people have been able send people payments via Google Wallet through Gmail on the desktop for a few years now. Now the company is expanding the capability to its Gmail app for Android as well. Starting today, users of the Gmail app on Android will be able to send or request money with anyone, including those who don’t have a Gmail address.

The feature by taping the attachment icon and clicking on "Send money”. A Google Wallet pop up will ask you how much you want to send and will forward your payment to the recipient — any recipient, they don't have to have a Gmail address. Those on the receiving end can arrange to have the cash go directly to a bank account from the email itself, and set it as the default behaviour for future payments.

It’s completely free to send and receive cash using Wallet, unlike rivals Venmo or Square Cash, but like those services it’s only available to people in the U.S. — as a side note, if you need to transfer money internationally, I can’t recommend TransferWise enough.

Messaging platforms have been integrating money exchange services for some time now. Snapchat offers the ability for friends to pay others via Snapcash, while Facebook has a similar feature through Messenger and additionally supports PayPal, Stripe, TransferWise, and others though bots.

Permalink to story.

Thats nice, wonder when we'll get to use Google wallet in Canada...

Apple pay has been working here since forever but apparently Google thinks only polar bears use their phones up here.

Anybody want to test this? You can send $100 to my email and I'll see if it works for purchases on Amazon.

Anybody want to test this? You can send $100 to my email and I'll see if it works for purchases on Amazon.
It does work. I took $100 from you and blew it on Amazon but the only problem was that it wasn't delivered by a $1000 drone so I couldn't steal that then advertise the Amazon purchase on eBay for $200.

Back