You may have to wait for Windows 10

Dirk Libbey

We're less than a month away from the much heralded release of Windows 10. With the update available for free to anybody who already has Windows 7 or 8 the new OS is set to become a huge part of the PC world overnight. Well, maybe not quite overnight.

As it turns out, while the release for Windows 10 is set for July 29th, not everybody will be able to upgrade their systems on that date. Microsoft explains in a blog post that the July 29th date is actually the beginning of a rollout of the new operating system. Members of the Windows Insider program, who have been testing Windows 10 and already have a version of it on their computers, will get access to the final release first. After that, customers who have made a reservation online will begin to get access. If you haven't already done that, you can do so here. Microsoft has not stated how long they expect this rollout to take, or how many people will have access to the update at any one time.

On the plus side, once you are given access to the update your computer will begin to download Windows 10 automatically and it will inform you once the download is complete and your computer is ready to begin the installation. This way customers won't have to wait any longer than necessary.

While this will frustrate some people who were looking forward to jumping in on day one, it will prevent Microsoft's systems from being overloaded with requests they likely would not have been able to handle all at once anyway. People not being able to download Windows 10 due to server crashes would have been equally, if not more, upset.

Permalink to story.

OCD types, and there are millions of them, want MS to wave a magic wand and upgrade
everyone in the blink of an eye.

It doesn't work like that ...

No reason to rush. Take your time, change the icons, make an interface that looks like you've at least tried to polish, release a compelling product. Please Microsoft, just return to the old style of releasing Windows. No more rushed products just to get revenue.

What kind of sick twisted demented insane bat-**** crazy stupid person would try to install a new "Microsoft" Operating system on Day 1?????????

That would literally be the #1 all-time dumbest thing anyone has ever done in the entire history of the Universe. Nothing else even comes even the slightest bit close.

All I care about is when (or if) they're going to patch SBS 2008 so it can communicate with Windows 10 machines via WMI like they did with Windows 8. I can't fully test it in our environment until then.

If they do have fixes available already, my Google-fu has failed to find them.

What kind of sick twisted demented insane bat-**** crazy stupid person would try to install a new "Microsoft" Operating system on Day 1?????????

That would literally be the #1 all-time dumbest thing anyone has ever done in the entire history of the Universe. Nothing else even comes even the slightest bit close.

Ummmmmm... no comment >< :p

I am actually worried now. I have been testing Windows 10 since build 9841. Build 10159 is very buggy. I cannot even activate it.

Hurry up and wait ..... now where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, in the chow line about an hour before the other guys started shooting at us!

I am actually worried now. I have been testing Windows 10 since build 9841. Build 10159 is very buggy. I cannot even activate it.

Works fine on all my machines. I have had success with one laptop and three desktops now.

Works fine on all my machines. I have had success with one laptop and three desktops now.
I'm getting a prompt to login to access Windows Insider. It gets me to enter a Windows Live login which I do. It then asks for my "old password" again which is rejected. Looks like it wants to configure a PIN but can't get past that point.

I'm getting a prompt to login to access Windows Insider. It gets me to enter a Windows Live login which I do. It then asks for my "old password" again which is rejected. Looks like it wants to configure a PIN but can't get past that point.
How about that... started the VM again today and now it's activated. Oh well... ignore me :p

Someone who has been using the beta for weeks or months and already knows that what they're getting is superior to any other Windows OS they can get?

The stupidest thing ever, in my opinion, is making crazy blanket statements without a shred of evidence or even a reason as to why it's true...

me? ;)
once upon a time in my life, on the day of windows 7 release, I bought it from Microsoft store. due to my slow download speed (courtesy of my Philippine ISP), I finally installed it 7 days later.

When you search for files on your windows 10 machine, does it send your search query to microsoft hq or google hq? or?

Windows upgrade will be a total disaster like in all previous versions.
only clean install will be a success!

Windows upgrade will be a total disaster like in all previous versions.
only clean install will be a success!
You've made 3 posts in this thread, none of which were any good. You are starting off on the wrong foot and you aren't clever enough to be a good troll. Make better posts or find another forum to trash up.

Back