"You need to register Windows"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

Run into a totally unnecessary fowl-up with WGA.

I have run a legit OEM copy of Windows XP-home (now SP3) for 4 years (originator Mesh Computers). ALL I did today was replace 500Mb memory with 2Gb. This upset the bios, which went back to default, (easily reset, that is not the issue).

Now Windows will not accept me as a legitimate owner, and wants me to re-register. After the registration window opens, I select to connect automatically, but it says no connection available.

Contrast that with what I am doing now on the same PC !! I popped in a Ubuntu CD, which not only loaded just fine, it also connected to my broadband without ever asking for my ISP user or login, and I am in business, which proves there is nothing wrong with connectivity whatever.....maybe I'll never use Windows again....but....

What I want to do is just re-register, or put the registration number in off my case without Windows being a pillock over it. Unfortunately I cannot telephone for a registration, because I cannot use a telephone.

Any suggestions please ?

I am sorry to say that I cannot fix your problem and I have a very similar problem. Luckily, I do have something that can help you. Here is a post from a user named Kimsland:

Every so often I install Windows Xp on a PC and the 30 days (non actvation period) elapses.
This is very annoying, especially when:
1. Data is present
2. It will not activate over web, because of network errors

After searching a bit on this topic (30 days trial) I found a Very useful Windows command, that MS do not tell us.

Reseting the Activation Trial:
------------------------------
In this example: Your activation period has expired, (past 30 days) and you need to get to Normal mode again.

1. Turn On your PC

2. Press F8 repeatedly and go to Safe Mode

3. Log in as per normal
(note: Administrator password is usually blank, or use the Password Recovery CD if the password is unknown)

4. Allow the Desktop to fully load (answering "Yes" to continue into Safe Mode)
(note: This is just a long way of saying go to Safe Mode)

5. Click on Start - Run

6. Type in exactly: rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk (and click OK)
(note: one space, after "rundll32.exe " also the Oo are two letter o's in "oobe"; capitals and comma are important)

7. Wait a couple of seconds (although you will Not see any change)

8. Restart your PC normally (Start - Shutdown - Restart - Ok)

9. You are now able to go to Normal Mode again (For another 30 days !!!)

10. Do whatever you like, you're back to Normal.

That is some kind of offical way to reset the Activation Trial.
Take Care it will work only work for about 4 times. (120 days in total !!!!!!)
Do not use on an already activated PC (as it may reset it )

This command line (Activation Reset) has been fully tested, and 100% working.

The good news is - I got a friend to re-activate for me, and it does not involve human interaction in any way. At any rate in the UK, you send your hash key (40 digits) generated by the WGA software which identifies your hardware and your Windows key, and you do this over the telephone by using the phone keypad. An automated voice then drones out another 42-digit number which goes into the WGA screen, and away you go. Provided you don't make any miss-keyings, it all goes well in about four minutes.

The bad news is several things....
(1) Originally my XP-home was ready-activated from Mesh and I never had to do it before.
(2) According to the rules I have seen about WGA, six things needed to change on my PC, of which I have only ever changed one, which was the increase of memory that triggered all this.
(3) I was unable to use my PC immediately. There was no grace period, no warnings that 'you have 3 days, thirty days', whatever.
(4) None of this experience falls in with the published intentions of how WGA was supposed to work, and only heightens my misgivings about what has happened since SP3 in this area, the whole attitude which MS is taking these days, and where we are likely to end up.
(5) No thought or compassion seems to extend to those who may be caught in this situation suddenly, and at a time when the PC is critically needed for an important service.
(6) there appears no way to perform the same service without use of a telephone, since in my case, it clearly disabled internet connection at the same time. For the deaf without a knowledgable assistant readily available it would be liable to cause a very stressful experience indeed.

Well in my case, a few hours using Ubuntu was enlightening and encouraging. I will be setting up a dual boot as soon as time permits, and fully intend to push Windows into the background as soon as practical.

Thank you Zerothma for the help you proffered, which I was able to avoid trying as it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back