You'll soon be able to stream Netflix in 4K using GTX 10-series GPUs, no Kaby Lake required

midian182

Staff member

Back in November last year, it finally became possible to stream Netflix to your PC in 4K. But in addition to requiring a monitor or TV capable of displaying the resolution, it was revealed that a Kaby Lake processor was a necessity. However, you'll soon no longer need one of Intel’s seventh-generation CPUs to enjoy Netflix content at 3,840 x 2,160 on a PC; a Geforce GTX 10 series graphics card will suffice.

Nvidia is testing a new GPU driver that supports UHD playback on its newest series of GPUs. While the CPU in your PC won't matter, you will need a GeForce GTX 1050 card or better with at least 3GB of RAM to stream Netflix’s 4K videos. As there’s only a 2GB version of the GTX 1050, that means the minimum requirement will be a 1050 Ti (unless another version of the 1050 is on its way).

Additionally, you’ll need a monitor with HDCP 2.2 copy-protection technology, an internet connection of 25 Mbps or faster, and Microsoft’s Edge browser or the Netflix app from the Windows Store. And the feature won’t work on PCs with multiple graphics cards, so if you’ve got an SLI setup, you’ll have to unlink your GPUs if you want 4K Netflix.

“In case of a multi monitor configuration on a single GPU or multiple GPUs where GPUs are not linked together in SLI/LDA mode, 4K UHD streaming will happen only if all the active monitors are HDCP2.2 capable. If any of the active monitors is not HDCP2.2 capable, the quality will be downgraded to FHD,” writes Nvidia.

You’ll still need to use Edge, too, as no other browser natively supports Microsoft’s PlayReady v3.0. GeForce 10 cards also support the copy prevention technology and are able to decode 10-bit HEVC video.

Right now, the “beta” driver is only available for those on the Windows Insider Program. There’s no word on when it will get a public release.

Permalink to story.

"a Kaby Lake processor was a necessity", "you’ll need a monitor with HDCP 2.2 copy-protection technology", "won’t work on PCs with multiple graphics cards", "4K UHD streaming will happen only if all the active monitors are HDCP 2.2 capable". "You’ll still need to use Edge, too, as no other browser natively supports Microsoft’s PlayReady v3.0".
Meanwhile people with PC's that don't meet all those requirements restrictions (brought in to tackle piracy), will watch their favorite TV shows by... pirating them via cheap "pre-loaded Kodi boxes"...

"We'll tackle piracy by making legal streaming hardware even more over-complex and expensive than simple illegal streaming". Yup, business as usual in Hollywood la-la-land...

Last edited:
Meanwhile people with PC's that don't meet all those requirements restrictions (brought in to tackle piracy), will watch their favorite TV shows by... pirating them via cheap "pre-loaded Kodi boxes"

Right? If a $70 Chromecast has enough juice to stream 4k, why are they being so restrictive on the PC platform?

Such a waste by Netflix. Nobody is going to bother with these ridiculous requirements for another five years, in which time we can be streaming our 8k youtube videos no problem.

HDCP has never done anything but encourage piracy - ESPCIALLY now that theres about 4 different versions in the wild

Such a waste by Netflix. Nobody is going to bother with these ridiculous requirements for another five years, in which time we can be streaming our 8k youtube videos no problem.

I highly doubt Netflix wanted these restrictions, it's very likely the content studios who did. This is the exact reason why Amazon and Netflix are pushing for more in house content, because the regular content providers are forcing things like this and charging a boatload of money per region.

I highly doubt Netflix wanted these restrictions, it's very likely the content studios who did. This is the exact reason why Amazon and Netflix are pushing for more in house content, because the regular content providers are forcing things like this and charging a boatload of money per region.
Content providers and no one else, that's for sure. I bet if we could get an official word from Netflix on this, they would likely say that it is content providers.

However, even if we were not to believe Netflix on the matter, there is the matter of UHD Blu-ray playback. Right now, UHD BR playback on the PC requires the same hardware as 4K Netflix playback, so I think it is quite safe to say that it is content providers once again shooting themselves in the foot with draconian restrictions.

So with this, I wonder if it will support 4K UHD BR playback, too. If so, I am much more likely to bite and get a 1050 Ti or better plus a 4K UHD BR Drive which I can simply drop into my HTPC. I built an HTPC specifically to get rid of four or five different devices. For me, having yet another box like a Kodi is not what I consider an ideal solution.

With a Kodi or some similar dedicated hardware, there is little chance of piracy. I, personally, am not interested in pirating the media I buy, I just want to play. But as with all past copy protection, it is a PITA for people like me who are not pirates.

If I spend money on a 10 series card, I do own one, its not for 4K or caring about streaming. my new firestick works fine for that. I do have a 4K tv but I dont sit there and watch 4K all day long. Most of what I watch is still 1080p which looks great on a 4K tv.

And they complain when their content is pirated...

Repeatedly trying to sink the pirate bay didn't work so let's try hardware lock outs.

Heres an idea, make good content, sell it for a fair price in a storefront that is appealing without any of this needless nonsense DRM and you'll practically beat piracy entirely.

I think the execs in charge are allergic to common sense so it will likely never change.

Content providers and no one else, that's for sure. I bet if we could get an official word from Netflix on this, they would likely say that it is content providers.

However, even if we were not to believe Netflix on the matter, there is the matter of UHD Blu-ray playback. Right now, UHD BR playback on the PC requires the same hardware as 4K Netflix playback, so I think it is quite safe to say that it is content providers once again shooting themselves in the foot with draconian restrictions.

So with this, I wonder if it will support 4K UHD BR playback, too. If so, I am much more likely to bite and get a 1050 Ti or better plus a 4K UHD BR Drive which I can simply drop into my HTPC. I built an HTPC specifically to get rid of four or five different devices. For me, having yet another box like a Kodi is not what I consider an ideal solution.

With a Kodi or some similar dedicated hardware, there is little chance of piracy. I, personally, am not interested in pirating the media I buy, I just want to play. But as with all past copy protection, it is a PITA for people like me who are not pirates.

Yep, for sure the difficulty in just playing / viewing 4K content is ridiculous. Just to play Blu-Ray discs on my PC I have to buy a special media player that can decode the encrypted disc. I don't even bother with that anymore, I just rip the disc to my hard drive and the disc is now shelf eye candy. Most DVDs were encrypted as well but you could still play them in any media player you wanted without issue.

This is the bullshit we put up with when enough people are stuck chasing "more" and will never let themselves be happy with "enough".

Back