• Fedora

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Other (please name/describe)

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikael

Personally, I like Mandrake Linux and Debian. Since I haven't used Linux for about six months, I am currently running Mandrake 10.1 Community on one of my boxes, but in a couple of weeks will probably install Debian. :)

What is YOUR favorite Linux flavor? :giddy:

Where do I recommend downloading Linux ISO's from? LinuxISO

My favorite used to be self-made, but now I think it's just not worth all the resources spent on getting it up and running.

I also used Mandrake 10.1 Community Edition for some months, until KDE just stopped working normally (about 10 minute delays in everything), and I didn't feel like reinstalling it.

I'm running on trusty old RH 9, but I'm going to try to upgrade to Fedora Core 3.

[Thread hijack]
Off topic, does anyone know of a good guide for said operation?
[/Thread hijack]

FreeBSD is not Linux.

If you feel like putting x86 unixes into the mix then I suggest additional entries like NetBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris

On a side note, I just received twenty-five Ubuntu CD's in the mail today. If you decide to receive a few, they kindly send a live CD and an install CD. I'll probably hook-up with a few computer people and see if they want to hand them out. I'll be installing Ubuntu (never tried it before) on a separate HD this weekend, and I will post my experience in a new thread. :)

me(who else?): Have you found a guide yet? I haven't been able to find any "reliable" guides on the internet. Although, if you use google, you will be able to find a few forum posts on Linux related forums where people have done the same thing that you are attempting to do.
Nodsu said:
FreeBSD is not Linux.
Yes, but I felt like putting FreeBSD up there anyway because I was looking at a friend's FreeBSD avatar at the time I was writing this poll. :haha:
Mictlantecuhtli said:
I also used Mandrake 10.1 Community Edition for some months, until KDE just stopped working normally (about 10 minute delays in everything), and I didn't feel like reinstalling it.
Mind telling me what happened? Did this just randomly happen, or were you tinkering with something? I will be quite upset if this happens to me and I wasn't even breaking anything.

Cheers!

red hat is awesome, i know of a server that has been running redhat linux 7 since january of 2001 and has served it's company well ever since. it's a shame they don't use it more aften, linux is quite powerful/effecient.

Mikael said:
Mind telling me what happened? Did this just randomly happen, or were you tinkering with something? I will be quite upset if this happens to me and I wasn't even breaking anything.
I hadn't booted it for four or five days, and when I did, it just stalled exactly like here: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2001/12/msg00274.html

However, doing anything with KDE components (kicker, konqueror, kopete, konsole, ...) would cause the same delay.

Some ten years ago, I tried an early Slackware release, just out of curiosity, but couldn't get beyond character-based consoles. So without any GUI support, I decided to take the opportunity to learn a little about the various Linux commands, try a few kernel compiles, and then forget about it - at least temporarily.
A few years later, I tried some SuSE 6 or 7 release - worked better, but couldn't run the GUI in anything but VGA. Not too impressive.
Then came the SCO case, essentially against Linux. That picqued my interest: If the (would-be) "big guys" started noticing, then it must have become pretty usable, mustn't it?
Thus, in October 2003, I installed Red Hat 9 - found it a smooth transition from Windows, nice reintroduction to Linux, quite usable indeed; but somehow, I never really found it particularly attractive (but, of course, that's a matter of strictly personal opinion).
Next, I tried SuSE 9.0, and, somewhat later on, SuSE 9.1. Nice, looked good to me, but I couldn't really find my way around YaST - it just doesn't sit well with how my brain functions, I guess... :haha: Furthermore, I kept getting the feeling that it tried to keep me from jumping too deeply in to the system - it wanted to do everything for me, while I wanted to learn more about how I could configure all these things myself.
So, I remembered Slackware, and decided to give that another try (first 9.1, these days 10.0). I just love it! Doesn't try to make up my mind for me, but lets me make my own decisions - just what I was looking for! (Well, setting up a Linux system from scratch would be another option, but I'm not too sure if I would consider that time well-spent...)

I was using Mandrake 10.0 for the past year, i found it a lot better than FC2, which i installed on my second computer. But just a week ago, i decided to switch to SuSE 9.1, just for the heck of it. And found it equally good (if not better), than Mandrake 10.0. Just cant live without YaST and Mandrake's Setup tools to be honest :rolleyes:

only thing that sucks about running Linux on here is cant get online cause my gateway modem doesnt have a linux driver! and I am on a laptop!

One thats not running on my hardware. At a push, Fedora based systems or Debian based systems - I don't agree with Debians overly strict free/non-free system, but the packages system beats RPM, and repositories beat stuff like FreshRPM's

FreeBSD is not linux, but lets put some Unixes like flavors also into the game.

For enterprise use : Redhat, Suse, Centos, OpenBSD, Debian, FreeBSD
For home: Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora, FreeBSD.

Whoops...........

Andres buddy, I think I got you with my little send up. Fedora is on version 10 at the moment. You must read the date on the original Fedora 3 post.

But yes, Ubuntu is a well thought of distro, and fairly easy to install.

Many swear by OpenSUSE also, with it's KDE desktop.

And the Fedora offerings are liked by many.

I like Puppy Linux. Not because it's a huge, complete linux distro, but because it runs directly from RAM and saves everything back to the Live CD at shut-down. That way I don't even have to install it to my HDD. :)

I like Puppy Linux. Not because it's a huge, complete linux distro, but because it runs directly from RAM and saves everything back to the Live CD at shut-down. That way I don't even have to install it to my HDD. :)
Many Linux distros afford the opportunity for a "live" session. However I am unfamiliar with a distro the "saves" everything back to the CD.

Puppy allows you to save your session to removable media or a CDRW. It doesn't save the session to a LiveCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back